39 year old jumps from Carnival Conquest Friday night as it leaves Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As high as those decks look from below, I wouldn't think he'd survive the fall. I guess it'd depend on the ship and how lucky he was hitting the water.

37% of the cabins have balconies. I wonder how high he was?

Last edited:
He was probably trying to push his wife and missed.:D

He was probably trying to push his wife and missed.:D
That's sexist. She probably pushed him.

The conquest is quiet a large ship with a substantial height. My questions are 1 was he seen jumping but by who? Was it someone on shore who may have mistaken him falling overboard as jumping. 2. Was he trying to lean over the rail and fell overboard? 3. had he had anything to drink to cloud his judgement?

I'm almost positive I saw him yesterday at Wet Wendy's having a Marg.:D
Some people just hate it when they have to leave....:rofl3:

I wonder how high he was?

We already established he was high... had to have been to step foot on the ship in the first place! :D

:idk: I just don't see humor in the story, sorry.

Somebody died here guys. He was a son, maybe a father or a husband to somebody. All reports use the word 'jump' and not 'fell'. Could have been a suicide, or could have been a simple mistake that changed his life and others forever.

The Mexican navy was still searching Monday for a man who jumped from the top deck of a Carnival cruise ship Friday evening shortly after it left Cozumel, Mexico.Crew members from the Carnival Conquest immediately began searching for the 39-year-old passenger after several witnesses reported that he jumped overboard at about 6:30 p.m.
KHOU-TV in Houston identified the man as Clint Wayne Markham of Forney, Texas.
"We were taking pictures and we saw something fall," Kansas City native Mable Canady told the station. "At first I thought it was some furniture. It couldn't be a person." She and her husband were on the sixth-floor balcony of the ship. Markham jumped from the top deck, the Lido deck above them. "I cannot erase that out of my memory. I just keep seeing it," she said.
Her husband Winston added: "I could have reached out and touched him he was so close."
Another witness told KPRC-TV in Houston that there was a commotion after the man jumped. "I was walking from deck eight up to nine to get a soda, and I could hear this awful screaming from one of the passengers on my floor," said Jonathan Wang of Sugar Land, Texas.
He said the ship quickly began to look for the man. "The boat made a series of maneuvers and we immediately saw a few other boats in the area -- small boats that we could only assume were helping in the search."
The ship was later released from the search by Mexican officials who continue to look for the man. The vessel returned its home port of Galveston, Texas, Sunday after a seven-day cruise that left on Sept. 18.
Carnival's shipboard response team provided support to the family of the missing man as the ship made the return journey.
The ship's captain, Antonio Sammartano, distributed a letter to all passengers before the cruise ended.
"We're sorry to say that at this time, the missing guest has not been located. However, the Mexican navy remains on site and continues with the search," Sammartano wrote. "We continue to provide support to his family and friends during this difficult time. We ask that you please continue to join us in keeping them in your thoughts and prayers."

Back
Top Bottom