3442 psi Worthington Steel 100's convertable valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bowtieman427

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Do not know if this the right place to post. LDS is selling used 3442 psi Worthington Steel 100's with boot and convertible valve. The Hydros will be due August and September 2010. They want $250 per tank. Is this a good deal ? If not what is a fare deal to offer ?
Also I have Yoke Regulators will I need an adaptor ?
What is the working presure I can fill these tanks to use with Yoke Regulators ? (I thought 3000psi was the MAX with Yoke regs)
I have a Legend, SP MK16, an Apeks XTX200.

I think I paid $350 for each of the 6 that I bought. So, yes, that's a good deal. Hydro only costs about $35.

The Thermo valves will accommodate either DIN or yoke valves. You unscrew a little adapter from the valve when you want to use DIN. We use only DIN for our normal regulators but I have to replace the adapter when I want to use my double hose regulators.

Modern yokes are usually marked 3500 psi. There are some 3000 psi yokes around and they are marked 3000 psi. Yours should all be fine. Read the Owner's Manuals or call the manufacturer.

On my older Oceanic Omega II regulators, the yoke was clearly marked 3000 psi so I just had them converted to DIN. Now all of the single hose regs are DIN.

Richard

Last edited:
It's a good cylinder, it's what I use for both doubles and my recreational single. I personally think that $250 is a little high unless you get a chance to look in it first. If it is perfect inside (no rust or discoloration of ANY kind) then it's a good deal. If there is any discoloration, give it a pass. Yes, it can be cleaned up, but not on your nickle. If it needs cleaning, hydro, VIP, anything, pass on it. $250 is a good price for a perfect 5 year old cylinder that's ready to go another 5 years.

Do not know if this the right place to post. LDS is selling used 3442 psi Worthington Steel 100's with boot and convertible valve. The Hydros will be due August and September 2010. They want $250 per tank. Is this a good deal ? .

The key word there is "USED".

seeing how in a year that you'll have to pay for a new hydro and a new o2 cleaning (if you do partial pressure blending), then for that cost you can almost get a new X7-100. (assuming that most shops include initial o2 cleaning and a nitrox fill as part of the cost of a new tank).

seems to me it needs to be at least a little cheaper. I'd offer him $200 or $225 (just my opinion).

The key word there is "USED".

seeing how in a year that you'll have to pay for a new hydro and a new o2 cleaning (if you do partial pressure blending), then for that cost you can almost get a new X7-100. (assuming that most shops include initial o2 cleaning and a nitrox fill as part of the cost of a new tank).

seems to me it needs to be at least a little cheaper. I'd offer him $200 or $225 (just my opinion).

I agree. I just bought a new 100 and O2 cleaning for $300.

You'll be fine with yoke regulators.

Ditto what others are saying. Next year your going to have to hydro them, so on so forth. That cost is going to make them the cost of new ones.

Aside from that, HP100's are a great tank.

If they have the convertible valve, your current regs will work just fine.

For $50 you can get a DIN conversion kit for the Apeks and takes a whopping 15 minutes to convert your reg to DIN.

You can cruise the board for this argument, but I'd definitely convert the reg to DIN. It is an O-ring thing.

Agree on the goodness of DIN. You'll still need to buy a DIN-to-yoke adapter if you plan to use someone else's tanks when destination diving.

My X7-100s were $350 each including O2 cleaning & VIP. I ended up investing in yoke dust covers ($2 ea), NITROX stickers, ($5 ea), and DIN screw-in boots ($9.5 ea). If I had it to do over again, I would have rather purchased a bolt from Home Depot and fitted it with an o-ring instead of the purposely built screw-in cover. I probably could have cut my cost down to cents. I became enamored by new scuba accessories in shiny packaging.

I am always leary of a pair of used steel cylinders, identical in size and the same age. Especially when they're coming up on their (usually first) hydro.

Another clue is that the valves look like they're brand new.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom