300: Fantastic!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
Wonderful movie, lifted my spirits.

The not-so-subtle political parallels were gratifying.

Shot in Sepia, very artistic and beautiful. This movie has it all, battle scenes, love, tantra, politics, fantasy.

This director knows how to get women to love a battle flick. wow, Bravo. (Why is there not more buzz about this film?)

Nobody famous in it! Fresh faces, tons of talent. Very Cool. About the Battle of Thermopylae,

Gerard Butler ... King Leonidas

Lena Headey ... Queen Gorgo
I can't wait to see it.
The historical context of the movie and the massive LOTR type battles will of course be a huge draw.

But really I'd like to know what sort of post processing they did to create that peculiar and unique type of sepia in the movie.

Hoping to add that effect to some of my photos :14:

It reminded me of that Ashes and Snow exhibit....

On a spiritual level i find it very telling that even today there is a small band of bothers, lovers of the spirit of Sparta and students of the philosophy of democracy, are willing to confront the worshipers of Marduk ...somethings under the sun never change...

p.s. I am willing to endure the wrath of TOS and the brown shirts!

catherine96821:
Actually, yes. great love scene, very beautiful.

Even the battle scenes were sexy.

I found myself trying to figure out those body suits. Are those pecs painted on?..... oh computerized?
Don't know about 'body suits.'

There's an article in last month's Men's Health (Butler's on the cover), about his 4 months of intense training for the movie. Type A personality -- went wild on the training (and then had an 8 month layoff afterwards, and turned into mush).

The movie's fabulous. It even stays relatively loyal to the historical account (with the usual Frank Millerish comic book/fantasy character diversions). The depiction of the Persians ('specially Xerxes) was entertaining (I have no doubt Miller and Zack Snyder (the director) already have a Jihad declared against them).

catherine96821:
ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Adults cannot see an R movie? What's the world coming to?
That's not exactly what happened. "Bodies" is the exhibition of preserved human bodies that is controversial because the bodies came from China and the subjects may not have given their consent to be displayed. Broward didn't ban the exhibition, but they did not allow it to be shown at one of the County owned facilities (War Memorial Auditorium). The exhibition was shown in a private building (in a strip mall) in Miami.

Is it as great as Borat?

Other than the fact there was a battle at that location with those two factions and the one faction was done in....that is about it with "historical fact".

but the movie was indeed good.......if you take out the sometimes long speeches.

it will be one i am going to buy

I saw the film and, while it was enjoyable, I don't see why it has generated such interest. First, the eye candy was tilted too far towards the ladies in the audience. I can see why they enjoyed it. Just not enough eye candy for us guys, but I guess we are supposed to be sucked in by the battle scenes??? Not my cup of tea... I'm more the "make love, not war" type.

It was far too obvious to me that much of the film's impact was generated thru computer graphics. It took away from the appeal for me because it was much too obvious.

On a spiritual level i find it very telling that even today there is a small band of bothers, lovers of the spirit of Sparta and students of the philosophy of democracy, are willing to confront the worshipers of Marduk ...somethings under the sun never change...

...can I have that for my sig line?

I was moved by that aspect as well.

Bill, the computer generated images you have to sort of get in to, like an ethereal dream. You should try not to expect it to look like it was not...

My little brother every time we would watch a western, would yell "Awww...that's FAKE" every time someone got shot. We still ride him about that.

My sons are Spartans. Well that's the team name for their high school.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom