300 BAR DIN variations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mgdive

Reaction score
I own a Halcyon 300 bar isolator manifold on a set of pst e8's. On both posts I use Scubapro MK25 first stages.

My buddy has a Dive Rite 300 bar isolator manifold on similar cylinders. I attached my MK25 to one of his posts to check his pressure, and didn't receive a positive seal at the DIN connection.

Upon further investigation, the recess at the back of his valves has a smaller diameter than in the Halcyon valves.

The center section of my DIN first stages has a diameter that fits in the Halcyon recess but not the Dive Rite valves, preventing the O-ring from sealing. His first stages have a central section smaller in diameter.

Is there a designation or standard for these different "types" of valves and regs, or is it just dumb luck that I didn't get a Dive Rite 300 bar valve that my 300 bar first stages wouldn't interface with?

That's really wierd.... The only difference in din fittings is the length of the threaded section, either 200 or 300 bar. Aside from that, the face where they seal are all the same. Could it be that maybe your friend got a defective manifold? Maybe it missed a step in the machining process? But then how would his regs fit? I assume he doesn't dive mk25 first stages. I'd take them both to a shop that sells one or the other line and see what they have to say about it....

i have run into this before with fill adaptors, sometimes the "tit" on the end of the din is bigger than the hole in the back of the valve. removing the "tit" works great and that's what i did, to make sure it fits everything.

kurt

goatboy_k:
i have run into this before with fill adaptors, sometimes the "tit" on the end of the din is bigger than the hole in the back of the valve. removing the "tit" works great and that's what i did, to make sure it fits everything.
That is an option for a fill adapter, but it may not be a great idea for the DIN connection on a regulator as many incorporate an allen nut type fitting in the end that provides access to the filter. Grinding things off could impair functioning in that area and create the potential for the remaining amount of the hex nut to strip, leaving tou with a virtually impossible to dissasemble regulator. You can bring out the vice grips and pipe wrenches and plan on buying about $50 in new parts if that occurs.

mgdive:
Is there a designation or standard for these different "types" of valves and regs, or is it just dumb luck that I didn't get a Dive Rite 300 bar valve that my 300 bar first stages wouldn't interface with?

One of my professors used to say, "Standards are wonderful things. We should have lots of them." Implying that 'different' standards for the same thing effectively equates to no standard.

Please keep us posted as to what you find out. I'm looking to go the MK-series/DIN route as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom