30 lb wing or 40 lb wing??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MonkSeal:
AFAIK outer shell for eclipse 30 and 40 is the same one which means that drag for both wings is similar.

This simply cannot be, as it is the outer shell that determines how far the wing can inflate. It's more likely that the inner bladder is the same.

Tobin

Whoa, whoa...I think you're moving too fast. You should get a jacket-style BC with at LEAST 80lbs of lift--if not you're endangering yourself and everyone around you. Everyone knows those homemade bp/w setups should be banned! :D

On a more serious note, however, a 30lbs wing will probably do fine.
The outer shell for the 30 and 40lbs Eclipse is NOT the same; the 40lbs Eclipse' shell is noticeably larger.

I have a 30# Dive Rite Venture Wing used for tropical single AL80 tank diving and it doesn't float me nearly as well as my old Pioneer 36#, even in a moderate surface swell. I'd recommend "demo-ing" both Eclipse models in a pool at least before deciding on a purchase. . .

Kevrumbo:
I have a 30# Dive Rite Venture Wing used for tropical single AL80 tank diving and it doesn't float me nearly as well as my old Pioneer 36#, even in a moderate surface swell. I'd recommend "demo-ing" both Eclipse models in a pool at least before deciding on a purchase. . .

Unfortunately it's not uncommon for wings to have less lift, or sometimes more lift than their rated value.

It's my belief that many wings are capacity tested in the "free state", not in the assembled state.

Wings and BC's are tested for lift by weighing an empty wing, filling it with water weighing it again, and finding the difference.

If the wing is not assembled to ta backplate with a tank mounted it may fill have more effective capacity than it would assembled.

I've tested some wings that were rated at 30 lbs, and when tested in the assembled state were only 24lbs!

Tobin

*Floater*:
Please share which ones.

Floater,

You know me better than that, it's not my place to comment by name on competitive goods.

I only raise the issue of rated vs actual lift becasue it's not uncommon for people to request larger wings than they really need based on past experience with incorrectly rated wings.

We test all our wings assembled, in the "worst case" configuration. That usually means with the bolt on weight plates and a 8" cylinder in place.

Regards,

Tobin

I use the 30 pound Eclipse in cold and warm water. I chose the smaller one for travel. In cold water the 30 has been more than enough (diving dry suit) for single tank.

If you need more lift and are getting more technical with twin tanks, get an Evolve later. The back plate and tank adapters all still fit, everything is modular AFAIK and you just switch out wings.

The eclipse MC system is a great bp/w.

cool_hardware52:
Floater,

You know me better than that, it's not my place to comment by name on competitive goods.

I only raise the issue of rated vs actual lift becasue it's not uncommon for people to request larger wings than they really need based on past experience with incorrectly rated wings.

We test all our wings assembled, in the "worst case" configuration. That usually means with the bolt on weight plates and a 8" cylinder in place.

Regards,

Tobin

Fair enough, though I wouldn't consider this type of commentry on the competition to be off limits as it's not negative per se, in my opinion at least, since it's almost common knowledge that nominal lift and actual lift generally do not match.

cool_hardware52:
This simply cannot be, as it is the outer shell that determines how far the wing can inflate. It's more likely that the inner bladder is the same.

Tobin
I took a look on both wings few days ago and got that impression. Still I believe that inner bladders are different. However, having in mind your experience I'll take your word on this.

I've had them side by side quite a few times--the 40lbs is definitely larger.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom