30 lb wing or 40 lb wing??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The stuff about how much of the wing the water displace at the surface is not really relevant. Because if the wing can not provide the lift all of the wing will be in the wter.

The following quote is really the answer. If you use intergrated weights and SS backplate and STA the 30lb wing will be very marginal to float the rig by itself.

So if you are doing a shore dive as I sometimes do in sold water, and remove my BC while in the water with my 30lb venture wing was a bit marginal as to the rig floating in fresh water - note there was no issue related to lift during the actual dive -> but if my drysuit flooded - well then...

I switched to a 36 Lb Pioneer for my Dry Suit diving and kept my 30lb wing for WW. I also picked up 32 Apex wing that I have not use yet (looks like a lot more lift than that).

rongoodman:
If you're going to put all your weight on the BP, such as with the Halcyon weight pockets, weighted STA, etc., you need to have enough flotation to keep it on the surface without you in it. If part or most of your weight is on a belt or harness it's less of an issue.

kidsdream:
The stuff about how much of the wing the water displace at the surface is not really relevant. Because if the wing can not provide the lift all of the wing will be in the wter.

????? What do you want your wing to do at the surface? I want mine to allow me to float comfortably with my chin out of the water. When my chin is out of the water some of my wing is also. The part of the wing out of the water is not contributing to the lift.

If you have a wing with a large volume top arc, you will need to add more gas to it to lift your head, than you would with a wing that has a low volume top arc.

If you have fully inflated your wing and none of it, and none of you are breaking the surface you have a problem........

Tobin

Hey buddy. I think you made the right decision by going to a backplate and wing. Good job. I would consider what sort of tanks you were diving in the decision of what wing. I generally use a 36 pound wing with all singles diving but occasionally with a heavy tanke I wish I had a little more lift as reserve. The only time I have noticed this is with full faber 120.

Brent

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom