3 tank boat dive, Carmel...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeguerrero

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

Arriving at the Break Water at 8am, I radioed in my homeboy Vassili letting him know we might need to scratch our dives.

A major fishing event with every known trailer was at the Break water, there were also very minimal divers but no where to park.

I even shot over to Macabee and refrained from getting into the mud that was breaking at the edges shore.

Thinking about Monastery but also knowing that the wave model was high in that area I radioed over to the crew of Silver Prince.

They sensed my desire to dive but not in these conditions and welcomed me to their boat; they had one more spot.

So Vassili and I jumped aboard after hurrying over to purchase Bonine to counter act our motion sickness.

Boarding the SP and shooting past swarms and swarms of jellies, Carmel looked promising as the jellies started to dissipate.

We only had two tanks so we planned only to get in twice; dive one would be just around the butterfly house in a small cove.

Man that locations was covered in the invasion of kelp flies, they were so happy that we arrived and didn't leave us alone, even brought some back to dock. :no:

With a rocking and rolling while we got geared up, I was diving without my can light, it's at Halcyon for repairs, I had to resort to my Halcyon scout.

The bottom was in 60 ft of water and it had surge that made it hard to stay in place. I took Vassili to a dip in between two huge boulders where the surge stopped enough to explore. I found the skeletal remains of some creature that had died here at this depth.

I grabbed the largest piece and handed it over to my buddy and he was able to clip it on his double ender and bring it back to the boat for a positive ID, we had a marine biologist on the boat.

With viz at only 25 feet with strong surge I lost the anchor line but my buddy got us back to a general location of which was perfect when we completed our safety stops the boat was right above us literally, thanks Vassili.

Dive two both of us tapped out and Vassili got super sick and went to sleep. That dive wasn't anything that we missed with viz and surge being rotten.

Third dive was back to North Monastery where the SP made a perfect anchor to where the kelp ends on the North side.

With Vassili back in good spirits to make the last dive we suited up and had Raj give us an awesome tour of the reef.

I've dove North years ago and only once, this place was heaven. When we descended down alongside the kelp it opened up to 45+ feet and I was in aahhh. :D

Just breathtaking with huge boulders like I remember and huge fish like I remember. We kept to the upper limits of the reef, only glimpsing down ever so often to the other 120+ feet that I could see from 80ft.

Ever so often the deep end of the reef would call for me, I felt like they were the Sirens from Greek mythology, so I kept away, knowing that my gas would not allow me anywhere near that location.

Raj took us around the reef all the way to almost the shore where it got really bad for viz, only 20 feet, he was in search of the ever so elusive angel shark that he had seen just the other day.

We didn't find it and then knowing we had to swim back to the boat, it got really deep again and before we knew it it was time to surface.

I remember him taking us to a small pinnacle just North of the Kelps that laid in about 90+ feet of water, really gorgeous rock but our gas told us time is up. I'd sure like to know what that rock was and explore it another time.

North Monastery has to be one of the most gorgeous sites that I have explored in terms of being deep and lots of large critters, we are talking about large critters. The dive was 48 mins and 50 degrees of warmth, Vassili literally was cold and I was so comfortable, I told him he needs Argon. :)

Special thanks goes out to the crew of the Aquatic Discovery for being a very attentive to our diving party and special thanks for Raj for taking us out on a splendid exploration of North side, that dive was just awesome.

MG

Thanks for sharing the diving tales :)

Thanks for sharing the diving tales :)

Peter,

I forgot to mention that when I was diving N. Monastery, I thought about the landlord a couple of times when I glimpsed past the edge of the Kelp...

Makes for one hell of a nice breach at 80 feet if he sees a nice fat sealion or harbor seal.... :shocked2:

That 8 pounds of air IS the insulation.

Sure, the problem is that 8 pounds was in addition to the proper weighting, and far beyond just preventing the squeeze. It's Weezle, and it wants too much air to maintain the loft.

Sure, the problem is that 8 pounds was in addition to the proper weighting, and far beyond just preventing the squeeze. It's Weezle, and it wants too much air to maintain the loft.

Have you considered diving some cold underarmour with the wheezle? Would be interesting to see if you get any warmth back without adding weight.

I remember how nice and comfortable you use to be with that suit when you had so much more weight on your rig.

Now you drop that excessive weight but lose so much insulation due to not over puffing, just doesn't make any sense on the design of that suit. :confused:

I really don't know why I haven't gotten really cold down there at depth, we both hit the same depth and the same time and it was 50 degrees on my Galileo and 48 degrees on Raj's computer.

I use the DUI polartec 300 with their 300 gram booties, Sitech drygloves and a warmneck DUI hood; always have the Argon.

I remember when I jumped into the first dive off the boat, I had the suit compressed and I felt cold on the surface, but as soon as I blasted Argon and started to move, the cold was literally gone.

I hope I don't need an undergarment change for a while and if I do, I wonder if I should step down to DUI's warmer suit which covers 28-45 degrees.

Mine currently does according to their charts, 45-60 degrees. :D

That is bascially our waters so I'd assume if I purchased the Santi which is warmer than monterey's waters, I might get too warm, maybe not if I do doubles and scootering.

It's going to be a toss up for me, the Santi or the XM450 from DUI... :confused:

Vassili come to the shop and order the XS scuba Argon reg and a 6cf aluminum tank, you will thank me later... :wink:

I dove with the XM450 all last spring when temps were consistently 45˚ and never got even slightly chilly, while other drysuit divers were telling me they were cold. Needed an additional 6-8 lb of lead over what I use with the Polartec 300.

I dove with the XM450 all last spring when temps were consistently 45˚ and never got even slightly chilly, while other drysuit divers were telling me they were cold. Needed an additional 6-8 lb of lead over what I use with the Polartec 300.

It is literally amazing how comfortable, warm and ease of dexterity without the additional weight the Polartec 300 gives...

I am glad you commented on the XM450 since it's a newer garment, it wasn't available when I got my undergarment....

The wheezle is so puffy, it takes Vassili plenty of time to squeeze all the air out of his suit before he can start to descend, I usually wait for him to begin the descent before I remove air from my wing....

Jeff, do you use Argon? I don't know if I'll ever need the XM450, but I'm sure if and when I do I would go with DUI, they have been really good to me.

I guess I haven't dove in the areas that are prone to 45 degrees and for prolonged times.

The thought of adding additional weight to my rig to compensate, makes me just wait for 50 degrees to come back.

Are there any benefits to diving in 45 degrees of chilly water? Are there the critters I haven't seen at 50 degrees or is the water just all that much more blue and clear?

Inquiring minds would like to know... :confused:

Someone needs to sell me on diving colder water.... :idk:

Back
Top Bottom