3-season wetsuit/semi-drysuit for skinny guy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toddysho

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've recently started diving and am tired of renting equipment because it never fits me: I'm 180cm and about 70kg, and it feels like I'm the only person in the world in these measurements who goes diving given how badly the stuff at dive centers fits. For this reason, I've been searching for my own stuff, but sadly it seems that dive shops give me the same story: I should either gain weight or chop off my feet. Most recently, I tried a Camaro Omega 5mm (size 48) and a Mares Flexa 7mm (size 3, M, or 48), and the length was correct but the arms were too loose. They recommended I try an SD Combat in the "tall" size ST, but I sadly cannot spend €670 on a wetsuit (yes, I know that it can be a very good investment, but I'm young and I don't exactly grow money in my backyard). Can anyone either recommend either a brand of wetsuits which might be more suitable for me or give me advice on how to properly buy a two-piece setup which would work for water from, say, roughly 18C to 28C?

Thanks a lot.

Custom made and measured suits jump to mind. I am sure some one will chip in with reliable manufactures that perform this kind of service.

I'm 170cm and 50kgs soaking wet. I feel your pain. I ended going custom. Can't make a recommendation as I had mine made in NZ, a big shout out to "Seaquel". Good luck.

I too feel your pain. When I started this sport, I was 203cm/84kgs. Just to do my open water dives (3c water) I had to get a custom tailored wet suit.... If you really like to dive, then you likely have to consider the best way to make it happen. Deal with the marginal fit (dive the warmer temps), or eliminate other things that consume financial resources..... yeah, it sucks...

I have had 2 custom wet suits, and a custom dry suit made for me so far....

good luck!

Whites fusion drysuit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18c to 28c is a rather large temperature range for one wet/semi dry suit to work for. Do you have any specific reasoning for just one suit? I know that most divers would swing from a 7 mil down to a 3 mil for that same temperature range.

18c to 28c is a rather large temperature range for one wet/semi dry suit to work for. Do you have any specific reasoning for just one suit? I know that most divers would swing from a 7 mil down to a 3 mil for that same temperature range.
I've been in 14C water in which my entire body cramped up and went numb despite having 6.5mm, an ice vest, gloves and a hood. I've also dived comfortably in 16C in California with a 5/7mm combo and in January in Egypt, where everyone was complaining how cold 20C is except for me; I'd rather err on the side of extreme warmth given my previous dives, my budget, and not knowing actually what it's like to drive with gear which fits. Am I doing it wrong?

Drysuit ...

I wouldn't say that you're "doing it wrong" per se, especially with err-ing on the side or warmth. You can always let a little more water in if you get too warm in a wetsuit. I'm giving you an added consideration with respect to the rather wide range of water temps you dive. Simply put, one suit cannot hit all temps.

I agree with AJ above...maybe a drysuit is your best bet. That way it's a simple layering or different undergarment combination no matter what the temp. You also get the added benefit of a secondary buoyancy source. There are used or entry level drysuits that can be had for not much more than a nice wetsuit. Just another option to consider.

I also echoe Whites Fusion drysuit.

Back
Top Bottom