3 mm wetsuit front or back zipper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M. Balmer

New
Reaction score
I am going to be purchasing a Henderson 3mm full wetsuit soon and noticed they have the option of a front or back zipper. Other than the fact it is easier to zip up are there advantages or disadvantages to the front zipper? I am assuming it would be just personal preference. Any opinions?

Just decided to search for this topic and found it already discussed 6 years ago. I'll leave this up in case anyone has new opinions.

a 3mm might be a little different......I bought a front zip WATERPROOF wetsuit in 7mm thinking it would be easier to get off and on. Wrong! Easy to zip up, but wouldn't say it's any easier than a back zip. But to take off.....what a pain! You have to practice being a contortionist to get it off by yourself. But a 3mm might be easier to pull back over your shoulders.

Back zip usually is warmer as it provides a better neck seal than front zip. Front zip is easier to don but harder to doff.

Back...........don't break tradition......:)......Seriously, you should get better 'warmth' IMO out of a back one..

I got back zip wetsuits. I hired a few front zip ones. NO WAY, they are slightly easier to get on but an absolute PITA to get off again.

The only front zip I will consider is a shorty that opens right down to the leg. Otherwise you can't shrug out of them without help... and that can mean all the difference when you're busting to use the head!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom