3 instructors near miss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abnfrog

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Well guys today was a new one on me , i am teaching a advanced nitrox and deco procedures instructor course , and a regulator exspoded ! in 40 years of the scuba industry i have never seen a reg blow (cracked housing ) that was just sitting on the dock unmolested (have seen yokes break on a fall ) try to kill all 3 of us , myself and another instructor were gearing up for a training dive the other instructor was on the top deck ( 10 FEET AWAY ) all of a sudden BIG BANG then ail coming out , we both rushed over . Thinking it was an o ring or a hose (bad move, it could have com apart more and shrapnel could have killed both of us , the plastic cap when by the other instructors head , found 100 feet away in my lot (try to throw one see how far you can throw it ! ) well heres pics im not taking it apart till i contact the manufacturer .....by the way i was 10 min away from it being on my back reg is 5-7 years old . Not saying the manufactures name YET but not hard to figure it out .....

Attachments

• DSCF3218.JPG
    DSCF3218.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 632
  • DSCF3219.JPG
    DSCF3219.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 661
Glad you're all safe! I think I recognize the model. If I was the manufacturer, I'd definitely be interested in acquiring the failed model and appropriately compensating/replacing the blown regulator before they started to get creative.
Just some Aquaseal and you should be good to go. Duct tape would be overkill IMHO.:p:D
I was thinking some new o-rings and cristolube.

Back
Top Bottom