Info 3 inch PVC Dry Box

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyFrog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Made with Sch 40 PVC at 3 inch diameter.
(Max internal water pressure at 160 PSI)

One end cement sealed with Sch 40 end cap.

The opening end with a Oatey Gripper.
(Internal pressure allowed at 16 PSI)

Haven't tested it yet but the only possible weakness would be the gripper seal. The rubber looks quite wide so I hope it works.

Will take it out next weekend. Fingers crossed.

38995F19-F389-4FBF-9D9E-7CD92C936173.jpeg

99337D96-4079-4997-A148-A883AEABA0FF.jpeg

72EE4184-F61E-4D4A-8421-490BAF4185EB.jpeg

D0E66B14-D5A4-46F6-BAB9-6C0E11BE3480.jpeg

E3F41F4B-AB32-41BD-B356-66BCA1AAACE3.jpeg

792B6AB9-80D0-429A-91D3-4BC8FCA38621.jpeg

1EA17513-890F-47DA-84DB-EF83BD9E8B09.jpeg

Attachments

• 6786E8FC-F9F3-49E4-A6C8-18AE583C3C88.jpeg
    6786E8FC-F9F3-49E4-A6C8-18AE583C3C88.jpeg
    70 KB · Views: 58
I tried this. Aside from the giant canister you'll have attached to you banging around, it will also be buoyant. Also zip ties fail pretty easily. I would use the big thick ones that are UV rated if you decide to keep this setup.

Frankly, for $100+ a Custom Divers canister is the best solution I have found. You can fit a PLB and a mylar hood cut off from a mylar poncho and it's nice and streamlined with attachment points with the harness webbing or lanyard hole.

I keep my canister in a rear lift bag sleeve under my wing with a folding snorkel and 8 ft SMB.

Lessons learned for me when I first started diving is to resist the urge to DIY when commercial products are available. Usually they are better.

I'm a plumber in my regular day to day, and use those gripper plugs during my testing processes. They can be quite effective, but I also tighten them more than just hand tight. They get replaced frequently. I've had them pop out under as little as 10-15 psi of pressure. I think I would be more comfortable using a threaded end clean-out, with an o-ring seal. If you insist on the gripper, I'd scuff up the inside of the pipe, parallel to the end, to increase the rubber seal's grab on the pipe. Keep us posted, as I'm curious. I've considered this method before...

edit.... change the zipties to gear clamps, like the setup for stages or pony bottles. far more secure...

Cool idea. Interested to see if it is watertight at depth

I'm a plumber in my regular day to day, and use those gripper plugs during my testing processes. They can be quite effective, but I also tighten them more than just hand tight. They get replaced frequently. I've had them pop out under as little as 10-15 psi of pressure. I think I would be more comfortable using a threaded end clean-out, with an o-ring seal. If you insist on the gripper, I'd scuff up the inside of the pipe, parallel to the end, to increase the rubber seal's grab on the pipe. Keep us posted, as I'm curious. I've considered this method before...

edit.... change the zipties to gear clamps, like the setup for stages or pony bottles. far more secure...
Plug is being pushed inward,
maybe the rubber seal should get flipped.
But it does look fine, and I would try it that way,
The center bolt may need to be changed to ss at some point...
It's not a bad idea

This is what I made with an otterbox. Rated for 100ft,
With 2lb its pretty much neutral,
And gets popped on to the bottom of my buddy's tank,
We have a family radio inside for calling our boat, our boat driver goes fishing while we drift dive.
20220327_135719.jpg

Plug is being pushed inward,
maybe the rubber seal should get flipped.
But it does look fine, and I would try it that way,
The center bolt may need to be changed to ss at some point...
It's not a bad idea
I was more concerned about a small leak at depth, which may not be catastrophic, causing an increase in pressure during accent, and thus popping the gripper out, resulting in a wide open vessel.
I've also had these plugs leak (both air and water) through the bolt with repeated use. YMMV, just sharing my experience using these regularly.

I was more concerned about a small leak at depth, which may not be catastrophic, causing an increase in pressure during accent, and thus popping the gripper out, resulting in a wide open vessel.
I've also had these plugs leak (both air and water) through the bolt with repeated use. YMMV, just sharing my experience using these regularly.

Thanks for all comments. It seems we have ourselves two weak points.

Zip tie: Yes that one is temporary for my first dive (which I hope it won't snap at first dive...) If all of these works out I'll shift to a ss clamp.

The gripper center bolt. This one is quite tricky as I see they used two small plastic gasket which may not survive 50 PSI at 100 ft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom