Info 3 inch PVC Dry Box

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some people mentioned buoyancy yeah forgot to mention.

So the weight of the thing without anything is 1.2 lbs.
The bouyancy should be 2lb.

So as long as I put in ~1lb stuff it'll be neutral or slighly negative (and I actually would want it to be positive, not negative.)

And yes this thing is humongous..... probably will be the biggest thing I carry on me..

I'd probably source another o-ring to go between the cap and the body (yellow), and really clean up that sealing edge...

View attachment 714616
Indeed, needs to be cut on a miter chop saw and sanded smooth. A thick o ring or gasket with some lube and it will be water tight. Buoyant, but water tight.

I believe those plugs with the wing nut bolt through the center are not very good at holding against external pressure. I think they are known to leak through the bolt hole when brought deepish underwater. But test it for yourself :)

A PVC union with a flat plate replacing part number 2 in the below diagram works VERY well, it can even be clear acrylic to make a light or camera housing. The downside is that the unions get pretty big and bulky for larger pipe sizes. Lubricate the threads so you can easily open it with gloved hands in an emergency.

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-16%20at%209_33_18%20AM.png

Oh so I can't edit posts anymore?

Update April 2nd 2022

Tested to 90 ft.
Bone dry inside! (I stuffed it with toilet paper, which all came out dry.)

Not as buoyant as I had feared, probably +1~2lbs empty, meaning with things loaded it could be neutral.

Also I hooked it to my butt D-ring on my crouch band. Totally don't feel it underwater.

I quite like it.

You have room to place the radio inside of 2 or 3 layers of good zip locks.. Even if it should leak a little the radio would stay dry. You can bite through the bags easily in a real emergency.

You have room to place the radio inside of 2 or 3 layers of good zip locks.. Even if it should leak a little the radio would stay dry. You can bite through the bags easily in a real emergency.

Good idea although the radio I got is pretty waterproof (resqlink view) but is not depth rated.

But still good to add some additional protection.

You can use slip-socket PVC O-ring sealed unions for a more reliable seal, but they are a little larger.

1648997861147.png

See post 6: DIY O-Rings for Divers

You can use slip-socket PVC O-ring sealed unions for a more reliable seal, but they are a little larger.

View attachment 715804

See post 6: DIY O-Rings for Divers

Thanks. I actually have seen this before when I was doing research.

However I couldn’t find this exact things on homedepot/lowe/etc.
And I couldn’t figure out how to seal it at the end? Because it seems this is mostly used to join two pipes together?

Does anyone with knowledge can share some links or guides that could answer these two questions?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom