3 Divers lost on the Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So very sorry to hear about this.

I was just curious, the safety diver nearly ran out of air before coming to the surface. I'm not a tech diver and I was just wondering about some of the following:

What procedures should a safety diver follow and what equipment should they have to be of use to his/her fellow divers inside the wreck?

At what point and how do they raise an alarm to the surface, supposedly in time to help their fellow divers?

What kind of support should be available on the surface for penetration wreck or cave diving? If not by the dive operator, then by whom?

Would communication equipment have helped in situations like this? Should it be required for tech diving?

Karen

[C]*** Mod Post ***

Several off-topic posts have been moved here.

All condolence posts have been moved here.

*** Mod Post ***
[/C]

howarde:
The Grove is a great dive - and it's not the hardest dive, nor is it a dangerous dive by nature (more so than any other advanced wreck dive). It just deserves the respect that it often doesn't get, and then people can get hurt.

Yes, I dove on the Grove several times (the most recent being New Year's Day this year) in fantastic and challenging conditions. Have also done swimthroughs on the upper decks. Thankfully I was with expert guides who taught me lots in dealing with currents, lines, etc.

But even at this point the sheer size of the ship and depth of lower decks...you just have to be so aware.

So tragic all around. I will have to send an email to my dive op friends in Key Largo to see if they dove it today.

Anyone know if these guys where wearing rec gear (i.e. single tanks, no backup lights)? And, can anyone cofirm they were not running a line?

We had little current or chop. We did a couple of swim-throughs. I have no experience with penetrating wrecks.

Diving is inherently dangerous. So are any of a number of other sports and recreational activities.

We do it because we love it. The guys who perished today loved it too I'm sure. That certainly doesn't make it any easier for their families but if you're going to participate in a dangerous activity; be it diving, mountain-climbing, parachuting, etc. you have to know and accept the risks.

chris

JoieDeMer:
Have also done swimthroughs on the upper decks.

You're not the only one who mentioned "swimthroughs" - let everyone who hasn't been on it know - these "swimthroughs" are indeed wreck penetration, and they shouldn't be downplayed by any means.

I spent 5 years working inside the nooks and crannies of a bunch of ships as a shipfitter at Norfolk Shipbuilding and drydock while I was putting myself through college. I have yet to see anything worth risking your life for inside a ship. Even the Atocha gold and jewels are not worth dying for. You should understand the risks when doing penetrations. Such dives seem to me to be a lot about pushing the envelope and getting away with it. Skilled divers with proper gear and experience minimize the odds, but need to be aware that if trouble occurs they can die. I often wonder if it is worth it. I also wonder how many avid cave divers explore caves on land are not flooded?
I understand the allure and have penetrated wrecks and caves but when I think about what could go wrong, in hindsight it was not worth the risk. As I get older and wiser my modest collection of brass are more like a collection of fools gold.

This is a tragedy and my heart goes out to the families. I don't know if we'll ever find out what really happened. Diving can be very dangerous. It can also be very safe if you take the right precautions and don't try to push your experience or training. Still *&%$ happens even to the best and most experienced divers. All we can do is hope that divers use sense so these incidents become rare.

howarde:
You're not the only one who mentioned "swimthroughs" - let everyone who hasn't been on it know - these "swimthroughs" are indeed wreck penetration, and they shouldn't be downplayed by any means.

Exactly. And I wouldn't have done them without proper training first. I have even tied lines doing short swimthroughs to keep my skills fresh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom