3 Divers lost on the Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison:
Of all the scenarios I can conjure, they all lead in the same direction and it ain't pretty.
Rick :(
That's what I was thinking. :(

Exactly. I've been on the Grove and there are many swim thrus and some permanent guide lines inside that lead to deeper areas. Deck plans for the vessel have also been available for some time. It may be awhile before we know exactly what happened. If the penetration was properly planned this should not have happened. However things do go wrong and it sounds intially like they were doing things the proper way by leaving a safety diver at the entry point. But this is subjective also as he should have had enough air if he was just sitting. A defect in the plan? Anyway condolences to the families but as to shakey's question it should do nothing to the site as far as recreational diving goes. We all know the risks. If we don't then we should not be there. I will be interested to see just what the exact plan was and if they were properly trained, experienced, and equipped. Unless they got into a really hairy area I find this scenario to sound like operator error.

shakeybrainsurgeon:
First, there's the issue of respect for the fallen and second, the more practical issue of divers trying to penetrate beyond their abilities out of morbid curiosity.
The Spiegel Grove is a very easy penetration (on the upper decks). There are lines run through the hallways, and they are somewhat wide, and easy to navigate through. You can see daylight in most of the upper decks.

Penetrating into the inner portions of the ship, that are deeper and less traveled to, would most likely be suited for divers with doubles, and more training in wreck penetration.

shakeybrainsurgeon:
This raises an odd issue, and I mean no disrepect for bringing it up here: if, theoretically, bodies can't be recovered from a wreck, what does that do to the wreck as a recreational site?
Thousands of people dive the spiegel grove without incident. It's gotta be one of the most popular dive sites in Florida, if not the United States. The "status" of the wreck is what it is... it's a wreck. You can explore the outside without special training, but wreck penetration of any kind isn't to be taken lightly.

Ya know, I was going to post a message cautioning against negative commentary and the like but I figured it was unnecessary. The truth is that all of the facts are not out yet so lets not be too quick to speak so Ill of the unfortunate. These divers are dead and gone. They most likely left behind some very hurt and sorrowful friends and family. I would hope that they would not read our board and find their loved ones referred to in pejorative terms.
I would like to challenge some of my peers to focus on the positive things to be learned from this unfortunate event. After all the facts are out, I will be looking to learn from this disaster and take away the learning points for future reference.

Please remember that these where people just like us…with families and loved ones who, for all we know, may be reading this board. Let’s not add to their grief and sorrow. So I will end this the way I have had to end conversations like this before:
“Here’s to the Airborne Ranger in the Sky and the soldiers who will no longer be counted amongst our ranks”

:beer: :salute:

JimLap:
Exactly. I've been on the Grove and there are many swim thrus and some permanent guide lines inside that lead to deeper areas. Deck plans for the vessel have also been available for some time. .

A little off the subject but , most of the deck plans that are out there are for SG's sister ship. The exteriors are accurate but not all the mods to the lower and interiors are accurate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom