3 Divers lost on the Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

evensplit:
The deck plans for the Oriskany are no longer valid and are incorrect - both the 1975 and 1981 versions. Entire sections of the interior of the ship have changed dramatically.

Given the fact that the ship used to sit on its side and it now upright due to hurricane Dennis, I have to assume you are right. A ship cannot be moved like that by a storm without sustaining damage to the interior. This is such a terrible loss of life.

johnny_bravo:
My concern is that the dive operators, tourism and dive associations/boards are not doing enough to stress the experience and comfort that are needed to make the SG dive

The thing is...

The SG CAN BE a pleasant dive. I've done the SG with 80+ feet of viz, and little to no current at all.

-- when it's like this, it is a relatively easy dive, and not very advanced - skill wise - (as long as you don't penetrate deeply into the wreck)

I've also dived it with 15 feet of viz, and RIPPING current (where you're hanging on to the ship for dear life)

These kinds of conditions warrant more advanced skills.

Hey - have not been here for some-time. Heard about news was doing a dive today (commercial) about 20 minutes away, from what I hear one of the divers use to do commercial work for another rig around the area, don't know if that is true or not sorry about lose.

Always descending,
Knight

I was very disappointed when they called my dive off due to current and waves. Another boat was tied off and the divers were getting off. Now I know why they were cautious. I am glad the boat captain made the right decision.

What makes you think current had anything to do with this accident? Sounds like they were deep inside the SG and probably were completely out of the current.

I dove it, the current was ripping, hold the line on ascent and decent. Stay in the shelter of the structure while on the wreck.

"None of the four divers were immediately identified but Herrin said all were from New Jersey. They were not related, but were friends traveling together."

Uh oh, I got a bad feeling about these poor souls being NJ divers.

Back
Top Bottom