3 Divers lost on the Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can anyone point to where on the web there are SG deck plans, or even better plans with the incident locations marked?

Buoyant1:
Rick M, please define "hose charged, valve off" that's new to me, thanks.

Turn the valve on to pressurize the hose and then turn the valve off, leaving the hoses pressurized.

lamont:
People have focused on the failure to maintain a guideline and insufficient gas reserves, but narcosis probably also affected the judgement of the divers -- both in determining the correct direction to the exit and in being able to communicate.

This is why 30/30 at ~100-120 fsw can be useful.
Unless they were narced on the surface because the error in judgement most likely occured before they left the boat.

Thalassamania:
Can anyone point to where on the web there are SG deck plans, or even better plans with the incident locations marked?

I am interested too to see the plans.

I am both sad and happy about the new details.

I am very sad that very competant people died.

I am happy that the details do show that they were competant. They were diving a plan. A plan that needs to be changed in the future, but they were qualified and smart people diving a plan to which they were trained. Hopefully their expertise is no longer in question.

I agree with Rick about the use of the lines for the future. As he said, the debate about the use of lines in wrecks has been ongoing for a long time.

UWARK:
I have a group of experienced divers that are right now dealing with mixed feeling of what they witnessed, hearing, and wondering what they could have posibly done to assist or save one or all of these divers.

Two of our Instructors were the ones to bring the fist found unresponsive diver to the surface. Now speculation occurs; and nothing brings back the lives or the feelings that will impact them and the industry for life.
The Key West Citizen List the Instructors who brought up the first diver as Stephen Collins and Joe Kellogg. I know one of these guys and they are from this shop Underwater Adventure in Gainesville, GA. Question- I know that Stephen takes his underwater video camera everywhere, even on student trips; does know whether or not Stephen was running his video camera? , I was just wondering, might shed some light on where and how they found the first diver.
D3Diver

Thalassamania:

The plans are available on CD from a member on The Deco Stop. He is charging 35.00 which is more than reasonable for the amt of work and expense he put into getting them. The same is being done for the Oriskany. I'm not sure if that project is completed at this time. I'm also not sure if he has any left but could probably burn them fairly easily. Based on this accident he's probably gonna get alot of orders. I cannot recall his handle right now but go the TDS and search for the SG deck plan thread.

Wow, this thread has really taken over the board. I'm sure evryone feels it to be a shame and a sad outcome, maybe on the plus side (if there is one) more people will understand some of the do's and dont's of safe diving.. It is real easy for all of us to sit back and couch quarterback what happened, but in all reality the inforamtion we get is all via third party.

It equally sad to see that some of the people on here think that just because three of them were instructors and one was a "certified tech diver" that this makes them quailfied for what they chose to do. I mean what kind of instructor are we talking about? OWSI, MSDT, MI, IDC (those of course are just PADI ones) but either way none of those creditials give them the skills or knowledge to do what they did.

If they were tech and cave instuructors, then sure...if they were diving within their training. But once again, based upon third party information it sounds like they threw the (bring the right gear for the job motto) out the window. What does "certified tech diver" mean anyhow? If a guy completes adv nitrox... it makes him a "certifed tech diver" who can only use higher mixes of nitrox. It dosen't mean he is now quailifed to attempt the dive that they did.

As someone already stated this dive was doomed from the start. Even if I was certified in everything under the sun.... if the other 3 were not in the same ballpark creditail wise, I'd be sitting on the boat: or in this case, the couch.

My condolences to all involed.

Divin'Hoosier:
Turn the valve on to pressurize the hose and then turn the valve off, leaving the hoses pressurized.
The reason for leaving the valve off is to prevent any unnoticed gas loss while you're carrying the bottle or while you're away from it. The reason for charging the hoses is to retain good seals, to prevent any water, and expecially any silt, getting into the reg.
Rick

Universal Diver:
This was a lot of reading with a lot of opinions on what happened. It was nice to read about the account of someone who was actually there.

It is a sad day when one of our dive brothers or sisters passes away doing something they love. Even sadder when three of them do. I'll pray that they will dive together in heaven.

umm.... I don't know about the rest of you, I consider it better that they died doing something they loved, rather than getting killed say in rushhour traffic.

IT does not make it a good thing that they died, however.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom