3 Day wonder certifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnF once bubbled...

So by my reckoning that was actually a maximum of 10 hours of classroom time, 5 hours of pool time, and about 2 1/2 hours of open water time including the check dives.

My point is why is that better than doing two consecutive days of 9 to 9 and then the check dives? According to my math that's 24 hours (say 20 with food breaks) of classroom and confined water time compared to my 15 total hours. I'd be more interested in knowing how many classroom, confined water and open water hours were included in each person's training than how many days or weeks the course was described as offering.

It's not better. It's the same thing. Well, a little sleep in between sessions might help some people.

5 hours in the pool and no meaningful classroom discussion...they should just sell the card with the book.

As previously mentioned, many factors come into play. For some a 3 day course is all they need; others will take a 10 week course and will still require private help from the instructor. However, I would like to comment on one of Genesis' earlier statement as to the regulation issue when talking about "Banning" the 3 day course. I agree with Genesis that everyone is entitled to choose his or her path (ie. 3 day course). I strongly feel, however, that SOME schools/instructors/LDS sell the "3 day" course as quick fix solution to SCUBA education. That being said, the couple who decides, on short notice, to get certified before going down south will be looking for the quick fix...and the School/LDS/instructor will be more than happy to accomodate them, even if it's not in the best interest of the couple or the sport of Scuba Diving. Sure, the couple has the CHOICE to take or not to take the course but we (ALL OF US)!!, as members of the Scuba Diving community have the responsibility to ensure the integrity and safety of our sport. It's too simple to say that it's his or her CHOICE, let them deal with the consequences. Let's all work a little harder to ensure that no matter what CHOICES are taken, safety will always come first, even if it means controling or restriciting current industry practices.

I have been watching this thread with great intrest. I teach the 3 day PADI OW and an 8 night OW course with YMCA. Both have pros and cons. The students in my 3 day PADI course get just as much pool time as the 8 night class. PADI does require more skills to be done on the OW dives than the YMCA. The main time saver for the class is that the student watches PADI's prerecorded letures rather than sit thru mine. With PADI I still give a dive table (RDP) lecture and review with the students any thing that they do not understand. The YMCA does require more confined water skills to be taught, so some may argue that it is better. I however, believe it all comes down to the instructor. I will not sign the C-card or referral unless I am 100% satisfied with the student's preformance. I always ask myself "Would I want them for my dive buddy?".

Is there really a right or wrong answer to this situation?

I doubt it. We are all individuals with different levels of experience, education, tolerance, etc. The instructors are also individuals with differing back grounds. No one set course will satisfy everybody's needs.

Is more regulation the answer? For instance after you complete your OW course you have to be tested by a standardized agency like getting your drivers license. Lots of people pass that test and can't drive worth crap.

It comes down to personal responsibility. The courses are simply a primer set-up with a minimum guide line to "introduce" a person to scuba. The rest is up to you.

Scott

Scott M:
Is more regulation the answer? For instance after you complete your OW course you have to be tested by a standardized agency like getting your drivers license. Lots of people pass that test and can't drive worth crap.

Scott

That's because drivers training and testing is even more of a joke than divers training.

The simple fact is that I don't take referals and I don't take continueing ed students who did their OW some place else...unless I know the instructor and what to expect or the student is willing to spend extra time and money to do a bunch of remediation. Rarely have I been pleasantly surprised.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom