3-6-5 Morrison Spring Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Another early morning and off to FL for some panhandle spring diving. This was the 2nd day in a row that I've been able to see the sunrise over the AL/FL border and again, it was one hellova site(snapped a pic this time too).

I arrived at Morrison Springs just before 8AM and Biggen was already there waiting to dive. There were two other divers onsite that said the visibility was decent - sounds good. WaterDawg arrived around 8AM and everyone introduced themselves, we'd be diving as a 3man team. I could barely talk(lost my voice last night and I'm still trying to get over a chest-cold, sinus's are clearing fine so I proceeded to dive) and Biggen was getting over a cold as well and wasn't sure if he'd be able to clear - possibly ending his dive just after getting wet. A few small setbacks, maybe, but the weather was great(maybe slightly chilly) with sunny skies, a light breeze, and mild temps(highs would end up in the high 60ºsF).

Water levels were around 6.5', which is about the point when Morrison is trying to clear itself of tannick water. Visibility was expected to be somewhere in the 10-20' range and we got exactly that. The tannick water still in the basin felt pretty cold, in the low 60sF, but the spring water directly above and inside the cavern was a comfortable 68F. Biggen had trouble clearing at first, so he called the dive only to find that he could clear a little later(after we were out of site) so he stayed on the surface and waited for us instead of heading home. WaterDawg and I ended up making 3 dives today, so Biggen was still able to enjoy 2 decent spring dives - his first freshwater dives as well as first cavern dives. Visibility in the cavern was flawless as always and we got to play with the catfish and freshwater eels. Near the entrance a few rock bass hung around the cavern flow. After we breathed away 1/3 of our cylinder, we explored the smaller cavern and the basin. There were bream, bass, mullet, carp, and even a small flounder to be found in the basin and the spring run. We also saw a bowfin buried nearly completely in the duckweed of the spring run. I tried to position myself in front of it for a picture, but it got startled and gave up its hiding spot while kicking up a huge duckweed ball of crap. This was the first bowfin I've encountered, I always get excited to see new fish at familiar dive sites.

WaterDawg brought both, his doubles BP/W setup as well as his single BP/W setup. On the 3rd dive he let me don the single tank setup - first time I've ever tried a BP/W setup. Trimming up and keeping bouyant came easily - great, more stuff I want to buy... Arg! WaterDawg took over camera duties for this dive so I could adjust to the new equipment without worrying about taskloading.

Morrison is great. There is no entrance fee, no cost, the spring has the potential to be as clear as any(its still fun when its not gin clear), you can park at the waterline, and you can do back to back dives as quickly as your tables will let you. We did 3 dives and were out of the water and packed up by ~2PM - not too shabby at all. Biggen had some things to do, so WaterDawg and I waved good-bye and headed over to Sally's to top the dives off with some good-ole country cookin.

Another good weekend of diving, I can't wait for the next! I'm friggin tired though...

I'll attach some pics, but the rest can be found here
http://www.suprbugman.com/gallery/album60

great report!

but what *is* that dude doing to the goose on the last pic?

Looks to me like the little kid pulled some watermelon out the gooses butt and took a bite. :D Not sure who did it, but WaterDawg positioned them back closer to how they were after I knabbed a pic.

OK, I'm glad Andy asked because I wouldn't want anyone to think I was actually wondering about the goose...

But I AM wondering about another pic. Is that a flounder???

Yep, Flounder/Sole/or similar - not sure what kind though. I've seen them at Morrison on one other occasion and once at Cypress Springs. This one was the largest one I've seen at about 2"

I was about to say, looks like someone messed around with the statues. Next thing you know some idiot will probably steal them. Looks like a great dive, wish I could have made it. Next weekend I will be down that way, might try to stop off at morrisons on the way back home on sunday and catch a dive or two (if it cooperates).

After drooling over WD's can light two weeks ago I decide to go out and kill my wallet and purchased one. I was reading about it and the long hose and it seems to me that it needs to be under the long hose to not hamper a long hose deployment on an OOA situation. I had routed it under my long hose, but of course it limits the mobility all the way to my left. I noticed on the pictures here of WD's that his isn't routed under the long hose. Just trying to figure out which is the best way to route the hose on my can light. I am strapping to my right hip standard DIR style, and running across the front to my left hand. I still need to buy a nice goodman for it though. Anyways, looking forward to WD's response.. :) Look forward to diving with you all next weekend!

Matt

Thanks for the report - sorry I had to work but I have to support my scuba habit somehow. :D

I appreciate you guys showing me around. I can't wait to go again. I think I am going to go ahead and take WD's advice and get a Zeagle Escape. Hopefully it will also fit me better than the oversize Mares BC I currently have.

Glad you were able to go Biggen! I think any BC that dosent have a huge amount of lift and is more streamline will feel better than that. Good luck and dont forget the other options

Corigan:
I was about to say, looks like someone messed around with the statues. Next thing you know some idiot will probably steal them. Looks like a great dive, wish I could have made it. Next weekend I will be down that way, might try to stop off at morrisons on the way back home on sunday and catch a dive or two (if it cooperates).

I've been eye'n lawns lately in search of the perfect yard knome to add to the statue ledge at Morrison. I haven't found one to my liking just yet though.

I was thinking of hitting Morrison either Saturday evening or Sunday as well, unfortunately, predictions aren't looking favorable at the moment. It looks like water will peak around 7.3' Sat morning before dropping again... course, the predictions will surely change by the end of the week. Atleast the water isn't getting over a bankfull. I keep saying it, but I think the water levels are gonna start dropping off more and more since its warming up a bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom