(3/21/05) Cruise ship damages reef and almost runs down dive party

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swankenstein:
A cruise ship on the Inside Passage-Alaska run hit the Ogden Point breakwater here in Victoria, British Columbia last year. The pilot blamed it on high winds. The breakwater is the most popular dive site in the city. There were no divers close to it when it hit, but some went down after and brought up big chunks of one of the propellors. They engraved the name of the cruise ship on it and a piece is on display at the nearby dive shop.
However, at Edmond's Underwater Park in the Puget Sound, divers like to drift into the ships (ferrys)!

Actually I said recourse, as in reporting the boat pilot for negligence and the like, to whomever it is that governs that sort of thing. I am also interested to see what fines are issued to the operator/company, as the reef is one of the things that brings money to the local economy, if it's damaged it seems like there should be some action against the pilot.

I wasn't implying SUE, SUE, SUE, but will that happen?

Main Entry: re•course
Pronunciation: 'rE-"kOrs, ri-'kOrs
Function: noun
1 a : the act of turning to someone or something for assistance esp. in obtaining redress b : a means to a desired end esp. in the nature of a remedy or justice; also : the end itself

darcy:
Actually I said recourse, as in reporting the boat pilot for negligence and the like, to whomever it is that governs that sort of thing. I am also interested to see what fines are issued to the operator/company, as the reef is one of the things that brings money to the local economy, if it's damaged it seems like there should be some action against the pilot.

I wasn't implying SUE, SUE, SUE, but will that happen?

Sue? In Mexico? Probably not.

That isn't to say that the government won't just tell them "You give us X amount of money or you can't dock here anymore"

Carnival needs Cozumel more than Cozumel needs Carnival. It gives Cozumel a good sized carrot and stick.

Terry

Web Monkey:
Sue? In Mexico? Probably not.
But I've been to Mexico plenty of times!

What? Oh. Heh. Nevermind. Carry on.

In the FL Keys, if you run aground and cause damage to a reef it is a BIG $$$ FINE. Amount is actually determined by the area (length x width) of the damage. They actually have a PER SQUARE FOOT DOLLAR AMOUNT! I'm sure the Mexican government will use a similar formula to loot as much dinero as possible!

Mike

I have a friend that was on the Inspiration when it broke free and she sent me this when I mentioned it too her:

"We actually were on the Inspiration. We didn't hear anything about that.
We were supposed to leave the dock at 10:00 p.m., but we didn't leave after
until after two because they couldn't find two kids that were supposed to be
on the boat."

Hmmmm.....sounds like some on board damage control to me.

I'm not shocked to hear about this incident. Just got back from Cozumel 2 weeks ago from 6 days of non-stop diving. We were staying slightly North of the main reef system, so we had to go right by the cruise ship piers on the way to every dive site.

There is a tremendous amount of cruise ship and dive boat traffic in the immediate area, seemingly at all hours of the day and night. It looks like a giant competition to see who can get the most foreign tourist dollars going on all the time!

Our boat night dive and our shore night dive were just beyond the cruise ship piers, and I always had in the back of my mind what potential problems could occur back on the surface (especially since the boat we were on had no lights!). Fortunately, the weather was nice and the seas were calm during our entire stay, and I can only report a wonderful time, great underwater pictures, and an overall great experience.

As others have mentioned, the laws in Mexico are not as strict as in other countries, and the locals will compete fast and furiously for your business. As an experienced diver and instructor, I did not agree with many procedures that were used by Divemasters, boat captains, or dive operators in general, but we all came back safely and in one piece. Just remember that when your mind is in the "vacation mode," some people let their guard down and assume that other people (DMs, etc.) will look out for them. When members of our group ventured off to follow the DM, we always reminded each other to continue to use the buddy system, look out for each other, look out for ourselves, and be responsible for our own safety.

I will return to Cozumel, but next time with a better education and more realistic expectations. It's a great place to dive!

And by the way, most cruise passengers said they wished they had more time to stay in Cozumel to see all the sites. The ships are in port for a few hours, or half day or so, and then back to sea. I tried the cruise thing once before, but for diving, I don't think cruises are the most efficient way to manage my time. In Cozumel there seemed to be cruisers and divers, with the two groups having completely separate agendas. I'll stick with diving, and fly to my destinations.

My wife and I were aboard a cruise ship out of Galveston
when we were "T boned"by another, smaller, yet Large oil tender type boat With all of this new technology, one might think they would be able to not run into
each other, or the reefs, but I guess not. The other ship had to return to port due to the damages they sustained. we continued on after a brief stop for a chat with them. Our Captain really down played the whole event, but I saw the damages up close,(got photos) while we were docked on Jamaica, and I have to say I was glad I was not in the berth, just on the other side of that thin steel hull!! I am glad to hear no one got hurt.

So, what is the depth one of these cruse ships lays at? How deep would you have to be to be assured it would pass over you??

Rick Inman:
So, what is the depth one of these cruse ships lays at? How deep would you have to be to be assured it would pass over you??

Likely in excess of 30 feet. 40-45 feet is the depth most deep shipping channels are dredged to in the U.S., to accomodate freighters and fuel lighters. Some of these ships' keels get very close to the bottom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom