3/19 West Palm Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peengers

Registered
Reaction score
Today my dive buddy, his son, and I headed to do a 1:00 drift dive set with Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures.

Dive 1:

Water temp was 74 degrees, I dove with a thermal skin and a 5 mil farmer john. My buddy's son hadn't dove salt before so we had a mild shenanigans while we figured out his weights and we had to be re-dropped on the reef with some other stragglers because we were told to get out of the water while we fixed his weight system. Among those that needed to be re-dropped was what I am assuming to be a dive master and one of his students or buddies. We followed him and got a bottom time of about 19 minutes. Not bad considering all of the dicking around that we had to do on the surface with weights. Vis was about 50 feet, there was a little murk to the water but it was a good first salt experience for my friend's son, with some decent lessons about checking and rechecking your gear.

Dive 2:

This was much better. Bottom time was about 35 minutes, we surfaced about 2 minutes early because of some newbie air panting. Vis started at 50, reduced to about 30. We saw lots of moray, a sea turtle, and a pair of dolphins visited overhead during our deco stop. It was a good dive.

Okay, and now for a few comments about Abernethy's operation. Just because your boat can hold 48 scuba tanks doesn't mean that you can comfortably hold 24 divers, and we damn near had 24. The divemasters really weren't doing much of a job divemastering - this isn't really a suprise to me because during the last abernethy trip I took they were too busy lobstering to do their jobs. Apart from the dives, the overall experience was really unprofessional and my group pretty much agrees that this will be the last abernethy trip we take.

I would also like to shout out to all of the divers that I saw on the boat today. I'm not sure what it is about west palm or this operation in particular that attracts asses but I would like to thank the 350 pound 5' tall girl that was apparently too self-absorbed and important to move out of the way when asked. I was only exiting the water and trying to get myself and gear firmly set down and your pendulous mass was blocking my empty tank spot. Thank you Mr. Photographer guy that felt obliged to crawl over me while I was taking my fins off and getting ready to hand them to the the person assisting people getting out. And finally, thanks to all of the people that felt like common courtesy didn't apply to them and were just standing around chatting like it's a dinner party and getting in the way while divers are entering and exiting the boat. What the hell, guys. Maybe west palm is too close to miami.

Anyway, here's a picture to entertain you if you didn't find this dive report useful.

waszak80am.jpg

Ocean Quest - Sandy's Sunday. A slip or two over from you. Fantastic, fantastic crew. I've seen peeps load onto the boat you were mentioning, no thanks, I am not into cattle. Stay at Randy's Landing, efficiency two bedroom, just across the bridge.

Did you search SB b 4 u booked your trip? If not, you may want to do that next time. I know quite a few good things have been posted about Ocean Quest, may have saved yourself some trouble.

We booked an operation that we had used before. Next time we'll try them, thanks.

One word man...................... Jupiter !!!!!!!!!!

Heck yeah! Jupiter is a amazing!!!! http://www.jupiterdivecharters.com/.... very seldom do I even bother with West Palm. I think after working in the industry down there for so long, Ive just become so jaded.

BS- What is up with you posting an avatar with 9-ring holes in it! You should take a pic of some of those playing cards you shot up. You should use the Ace of Hearts. Everyone uses the Ace of Spades.. overdone.

Nine ring holes.. man you should have thrown that one away man.

NExt you are going to post pictures of me with a tangled reel.

Or dragging an air console on the bottom.

Wow,
Sounds like you had a blast! I hope the red smurf was not on the dive boat!
Well next time as said try the spots the locals use and not the traps as you will find all kinds!
Dive safe,
Brad

Missdirected:
Ocean Quest - Sandy's Sunday. A slip or two over from you. Fantastic, fantastic crew. I've seen peeps load onto the boat you were mentioning, no thanks, I am not into cattle. Stay at Randy's Landing, efficiency two bedroom, just across the bridge.

I'm going out with Sandy and crew next month. Do you have a link or number for Randy's Landing?

Thanks!

Oceandvr:
I'm going out with Sandy and crew next month. Do you have a link or number for Randy's Landing?

Thanks!

I will find it right now. Actually, I need to call them today. Hoping they have space for a last minute trip. BRB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom