2nd Stage Swivels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iflyprops

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone tried putting one of those swivels on their hose right by the 2nd stage. I have an Atomic Z1 and sometimes I feel as if I am fighting the hose...

Thanks!

but mounted it on my octopus. I felt that it would be easier for another person to rotate and use. I'd suggest you might want a slightly longer hose on your second stage to elimenate the tug.

Adam, try giving a 5 ft hose a try. I borrowed one for a cavern course and promptly went home and bought one. I find it eliminated almost all of the hose pull that was on my reg. The Halycon ones are not cheap but they are a lot softer than many others. I suspect the more flexability helps as well.

iflyprops:
Has anyone tried putting one of those swivels on their hose right by the 2nd stage. I have an Atomic Z1 and sometimes I feel as if I am fighting the hose...

Thanks!

I had the Atomic swivel mounted on my Atomic B-1 and loved it! It is expensive though. I'm trying to decide now if I want to get it on my Atomic M-1 (The B-1 was stolen in a house Burglary.)

I'm sure that a lot of people on the board, especially DIR types will not recommend it, because its another thing that can go wrong, etc. but I would rather have it then a longer hose. I found it very nice to use and it was built very well. :bounce:

one my Wifes primary reg. She had been complaining about it for some time now, she had rented a reg that had one, and she said it stopped her gums being hurt from the mouthpiece, so I got her one for Xmas. Have yet to try it out though.

I had tried a swivel (actually two different types) in the past. I grew to hate them pretty quickly; every time I picked up my second stage it was flipped around into a wierd angle and it took some sorting out, brief but annoying.

I wanted the swivel because of the way the 2nd stage pulled and tilted in my mouth. Jaw fatigue. Eventually it was pointed out that my hose was the wrong length, so I adjusted that and most of the problems went away.

I have the new Atomic B2, which has a swivel. I really like this swivel, which has a limited throw so it stays in a reasonable position. Also it "firms up" when pressurized, so it isn't floppy. The comfort is superb.

All the best, James

I started with a swivel on my Sherwood Maximus circa 1995. I feel the tug on my ScubaPro now. A longer hose should help this out.

I may have to try out the longer hose, do you have to go with a full 5 feet...or can you get one say 6" longer than the one on the reg? Are these usually stock items or can they be custom made?

As usual, thanks!

You can get ones a few inches longer but you miss the entire benefit of a much longer hose. The hose is routed under the right arm, across the chest, over the left shoulder and behind the neck with the hose entering the 2nd stage from the right. I know this may sound a bit strange but what it does is create a loop around the neck that moves with your head. For most people who don't use a canistor light a 5ft is about right. Yes, this is something borrowed from the DIR folks, I tried it and liked the results. You may not but if you are having problems with hose tug, it's worth a try. There have been dozens of discussions on "long hoses" on the board over the years, do a search if you are interested.

I am a fan of how my old Maximus was routed. It had a swivel and a three foot hose that was routed under your right arm. I never had any pull that way. I'm not sure if a longer hose routed conventionally will eliminate pull, or just redirect the direction of pull. Around the head like Herman said would work.

My SP S-600 pulls like hell, but breathes like a champ. My mom actually put a swivel on hers and rerouted her hose under her arm just like the Oasis she used to use. She loved it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom