2nd stage necklace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The necklace goes on a short hosed regulator (22-24inches is pretty common), and the primary (and one you donate) is on a longer hose. Some folks use a 40inch hose, while others go with a 5 or 7ft hose.

Is the bungee necklace commonly used with recreational length hoses, or is it just for long DIR-type hoses?

It is used with whatever length octo hose you are using. It is the set-up tech divers use so their alternate air source is instantly available - it is always just a few inches below their chin. I (and many other divers) got used to having it there and use it with my open water set-up as well. If I ever need to donate (or someone grabs it out of my mouth), I will give away my primary which is already purged and ready to go and just grab the reg that is on the necklace. You don't even need to remove it from the necklace.

IMG_0389-1-1.jpg

Breathing off the reg that is in the necklace:

dscf5770.jpg

One other comment IIRC correctly one other aspect of the bungie is so that you can put the reg in your mouth hands free. I.e. the reg is close enough that if both hands are occupied you could still grab it with just your mouth and perhaps a shurg.

Is the bungee necklace commonly used with recreational length hoses, or is it just for long DIR-type hoses?

Before I went to doubles, I dove a single tank configuration with a long hose. When I go to singles, I still use it.

My primary is on a 5ft hose. It comes under my right arm, across my chest, around my neck, over my right shoulder to my mouth. My secondary is on a 24in hose which is on a necklace under my chin.

One other comment IIRC correctly one other aspect of the bungie is so that you can put the reg in your mouth hands free. I.e. the reg is close enough that if both hands are occupied you could still grab it with just your mouth and perhaps a shurg.

I bet more than 130% of divers cant get to their bungied reg in this manner... I have never tried but will be in the pool this weekend to give it a shot.

It is used with whatever length octo hose you are using. It is the set-up tech divers use so their alternate air source is instantly available - it is always just a few inches below their chin. I (and many other divers) got used to having it there and use it with my open water set-up as well. If I ever need to donate (or someone grabs it out of my mouth), I will give away my primary which is already purged and ready to go and just grab the reg that is on the necklace. You don't even need to remove it from the necklace.

IMG_0389-1-1.jpg

Breathing off the reg that is in the necklace:

dscf5770.jpg
Breathing off the reg that is in the necklace... shocker not required. :D

I've been using a shock cord necklace for a while now and it's great but the necklace is a bit floaty. When swimming backwards or holding still in a current, the necklace tends to come up over my head and float in front of my face. My solution to this problem has been to put on the necklace THEN my hood which holds it down.

I'm about to vacation in Bonaire where I won't be using a hood - any suggestions for weighing it down?

Thanks.

I had the same issue with some of the shock cord I was using. I just shortened it up somewhat. I like the #2 idea, but I also like the rubber tubing idea.

I'm pretty sure I could break the shock cord with either my 18" neck or my hand. I'm just going to snip the knots.

Back
Top Bottom