2nd air source question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

7919A63C-B370-4DB5-BFA9-6216DBD58EF6.jpeg

I also think you should sling the pony. I recently started carrying a pony on some dives. On other dives I might not carry it, and on still other dives I might dive double 108's and sling a deco bottle. Right tool for the job and all that... When I sling a pony, it's only a little 13. If I need more than that, I go to doubles.

I think it was @2airishuman who shared with me two accounts of diver death directly attributed to having a backmounted pony. I may be wrong but I think I remember both incidents being similar in that the diver inadvertently used the pony when they thought they were on their primary as the start of the cascade. The details are accounted in one or two threads on scubaboard already.

When slinging the pony, you don't have the possibility of that situation. The slung pony is either in front or on your side where you can easily look and see if you are/aren't using the pony. Maybe he will comment with more detail. If not, you can search for the details on this site.

If you already own the 30, and you want the added safety of a redundant air source, by all means sling it on any or all your dives. Even if you never NEED it, it is good practice, and an opportunity to practice deploying it to develop proficiency in case you ever do need it.

I have never come up from a dive and thought “Damn, I brought too much air with me!!”

A little off topic but simular- For you guys that do not bring a pony..... Do you use a second second stage ?? (Octo)

I have never come up from a dive and thought “Damn, I brought too much air with me!!”
Have you ever finished a dive and thought “I got too much damn gear!”

A little off topic but simular- For you guys that do not bring a pony..... Do you use a second second stage ?? (Octo)
Absolutely.

yes. not uncommon for diaphragms to have problems, mouthpieces to have problems, etc. that will cause you to want to switch second stages, as well as the potential of coming across some other poor bugger who may need help

With a few exceptions, solo or buddy I dive what some call the “streamline” recreational setup that uses primary donate and the backup regulator on a bungee necklace. That way my alternate is always right where I expect it and readily available.

I was taught to buddy breathe during my OW course so for years I used a single second stage. I had a diaphragm come loose during a dive and was getting a lot of water with each breath. I had to unscrew the cap, realign the diaphragm and screw the cap back on while holding my breath. All those free dives came in handy. After that I began diving with a backup reg on a necklass.

Perhaps the op should consult with spearfisherman when seeking specific advise about gear? Spearfisherman may be dealing with extra Kevlar lines or cable and strong animals that seem intent on wrapping the diver up.

Spearfisherman are also known to sprint after shot fish or even chase or stalk fish without exhaling in order to not scare them. They might dive quite differently than a recreational diver that floats around with their arms crossed, frog kicking, while watching their pressure gauge and determining the success of their dive to be measured by how little air they used, how slowly they swim, how precise their trim is, how little silt they stir up or what the dive profile looks like when downloaded at home.

Spearfishing is a little different as are the objectives and measures of success. The benefits of a configuration and gear that reduces drag and enhances swimming speed and efficiency may be major considerations for a spearfisherman.

Along those lines, a large primary tank and a smaller pony bottle might be a more common configuration. Similarly, the pros and cons of various means to carry a pony bottle may be different for a macro photographer versus a spearfisherman. When someone says x configuration never gets in the way and never bothers them, you have to keep in mind how their activities might differ from your own.

Perhaps the op should consult with spearfisherman when seeking specific advise about gear? Spearfisherman may be dealing with extra Kevlar lines or cable and strong animals that seem intent on wrapping the diver up.

Spearfisherman are also known to sprint after shot fish or even chase or stalk fish without exhaling in order to not scare them. They might dive quite differently than a recreational diver that floats around with their arms crossed, frog kicking, while watching their pressure gauge and determining the success of their dive to be measured by how little air they used, how slowly they swim, how precise their trim is, how little silt they stir up or what the dive profile looks like when downloaded at home.

Spearfishing is a little different as are the objectives and measures of success. The benefits of a configuration and gear that reduces drag and enhances swimming speed and efficiency may be major considerations for a spearfisherman.

Along those lines, a large primary tank and a smaller pony bottle might be a more common configuration. Similarly, the pros and cons of various means to carry a pony bottle may be different for a macro photographer versus a spearfisherman. When someone says x configuration never gets in the way and never bothers them, you have to keep in mind how their activities might differ from your own.

I have done plenty of spearfishing on SCUBA, so I understand the issues, and adjust... I am on SB asking these questions because it is always good to hear others opinions etc... information is good, especially when applied...

Back
Top Bottom