2nd air source question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good stuff....
Just out of curiosity....I know you're partial to diving with a 30 as a pony so you don't have to immediately end your dive in an OOA situation. But for the sole purpose of being able to make it to the surface why not just carry a spare air? Takes up less space on your kit and wouldn't require any additional hoses. Just a thought.

tbone - I know some do not believe in pony bottles, heck Im a huge DIR fan so I subscribe to the thought, Im just trying to be TRULY independent...
OK, for starters DIR prescribes absolutely no solo diving. Second, 30 cu ft would get awfully bulky if it was something you carried on every dive. 13 or 19 is plenty to ascend from 60 feet. In 29 years of diving I have only seen one diver run out of air during a dive, and he always carries a pony. He has run out twice, including emptying his pony so I no longer allow ponies on my boat.

Just out of curiosity....I know you're partial to diving with a 30 as a pony so you don't have to immediately end your dive in an OOA situation. But for the sole purpose of being able to make it to the surface why not just carry a spare air? Takes up less space on your kit and wouldn't require any additional hoses. Just a thought.

Bus- I just never considered.... rather buy a smaller pony....

MAX, yes I know DIR principles... Im not trying to do it DIR way obviously... I agree the 30 is way out there... I did not buy it for that use, I had it because I stuff it and a 40' hose in my solo skiff for quick dives in the keys when I see stuff messin around...

FYI - Im not worried about my gas management- it was an equip failure I thought slingin a pony be good as far as solo diving goes

I may re-think the pony...

...Please dont be sarcastic in my thread ......
If worried about an out of air situation, the pony is nice.
But the real problem is the AL80.

I dive solo all the time and wouldn't sling a pony unless I would be pushing NDLs, going to around 100ft or more, or had to have a specific route back. I'm solo certified and have been diving solo since I got certified in OW. I suppose it's a risk tolerance thing, but it's not crazy to suggest it as overkill for what you're describing.

THOUGHTS please
I am -
Diving in OSW to 60'
Alum 80 / BP wing bc
30cf pony as 2nd air source

Id like to hear your opinions as best setup.
Both first stages will have pressure guages (button type on pony bottle)
Both will only have one second stage (no octo)
Strap 30 pony to main tank with bungee necklace -

Opinions please

+1
Why not redundancy if you're willing to carry and properly manage it.
Stuff happens, I found myself relaxing more knowing there would be no reason to ever attempt a cesa in boat traffic or from depth or while choking on sea water or any combination of those, or any other circumstance.

Make sure you can reach the valve and confirm pressure periodically.
Maybe a small mirror for a bubble check or just sling it sidemount as suggested.

Cheers, Kevin

Just an FYI for everyone if you never seen... GOOD info. The main thing I took away from it was time of air loss in 50'

Back
Top Bottom