288lake or mammoth lake?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let's see...I only have two tanks, one for me and one for my buddy. If there is no compressor at 288 lake, where is the closest place to fill my tanks in between dives? Sea Sports @ Westheimer and Voss??

i think it would be easier to rent a tank beforehand and take it along wouldn't it?

I dove 288 today and vis in parts was 20 feet. Worst vis was still probably 6 or 8 feet. Pretty cool "hydrilla wall dive" good for 2 tanks. Shallow enough to get some pretty serious bottom time.

Gigglin Marlin is closer than Sea Sports but they may give you grief about your vip. they wouldn't fill for me because they said vip's expired on the first day of the month not the last. I spoke with the manager but he wouldn't do it either (total bs but what you gonna do?). I use Sea Sports now. Cool thing about SS is if they do your vip you get free air fills. BTW there is only one shop open on Sundays for fills that I've found in Houston, I think its called Houston Scuba Academy. You could drive out to Manvel, which is closest, but they charge like 10 bucks a fill!!

We dove 288 for the first time May 9th and had a great dive. The highlights were the "spooky sunken school bus" and a little perch who apparently had seen a vienna sausage before--he gobbled them up like crazy. I don't know, it is just fun to feed fish underwater. This was especially good since I have seen the video of the bozo who teased a moray with a hot dog and had his thumb bitten off. No chance of that with the denizens of 288. The vis was "murky green", which, to my mind was a plus. It is very, very clear to about 10' or so out and then it goes foggy. So, as you swim up on things they appear out of the fog, but not enough such that you run into them.

We dove Mammoth last year and will be going back at some point this year. I really cannot argue with anything anyone else has posted, it is a work in progress. Since I am seriously addicted to scuba and Texas has the suckiest scuba sites (per size) of any state in the US, I really can't complain and dive what I can. I draw the line at Smith Lake as it is über-nasty--but the folks who use it regularly are senisitve enough to all these jibes that they may get out there and clean it up.

Blue Lagoon is just fantastic since the topside scenery is so bucolic and meditative. Again, I cannot dispute anything anyone has said.

Ask yourself, do I need to dive 100' viz every dive? Do I need to see moray's and rare nudebranch's on every dive? Well, if you do you are far too prissy to live in Texas.

Happy diving!

I use Sea Sports now. Cool thing about SS is if they do your vip you get free air fills.

I've been using SS for the past couple of years. You're right, you really can't beat the free air fills w/vip- unless you somehow get your air for free.

Blue Lagoon is just fantastic since the topside scenery is so bucolic and meditative.

Bucolic, huh? Wow, I actually had to look that one up. Good eloquence.

Back
Top Bottom