28° is hot or cold?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karen Es

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys!
Next Friday I'm travelling to Brazil. I read that the sea surface temperature there is 28°but I'm worried about being cold or warm in my 7mm suit. Could anybody give me an idea? I'm pretty sure that it's cold for me...
Karen

7mm is a bit too much for 28 Centigrades. But if you plan on doing more than two dives a day - it will be OK.
After all if you are hot you can always open the suit uw to let fresh water in (I do this in Egypt in August when I'm too hot).
:D
Mania

28 Centigrade is warm. 7mm is too much for you to enjoy thw water

28 Farenheit is Cold !!!

Karen Es:
Hi guys!
Next Friday I'm travelling to Brazil. I read that the sea surface temperature there is 28°but I'm worried about being cold or warm in my 7mm suit. Could anybody give me an idea? I'm pretty sure that it's cold for me...
Karen

COLD????? I take showers colder than that. And you want to do it in a 7mm? WOW!

I would consider 28°C to be warm water, perhaps even shorty weather, but for sure 3mm and not 7mm. But since everyone is different when it comes to temperature I would suggest taking a modular suit with you. Maybe a 5mm with a core warmer, or a 3mm with a core warmer.......OR if you are really the cold type then make sure you can shed layers if the water is too warm.

I'd say a 5mm on it's own would probally be more than adequete. All my diving so far has been done with surface temps ~20 centigrade and my 5mm hasn't failed me yet.

Personally i'd say a 7mm would be overkill, though i've never tried one before.

I dive 28C/82F in a skin, but some divers - especially ladies - chill more easily. I cannot imagine anyone needing more than a 3 mil long or a 5 mil short.

Karen Es:
Hi guys!
Karen

28C is about the temperature of your average indoor swimming pool. A 7mm suit will keep you nice and warm. I personally don't think it's too much because I believe if you have a choice then being a little warmer is perferable to being a little colder. You certainly won't overheat unless you're working really hard for the whole dive.

When I was in Egypt this year the water was 25C and I used a 7/5 suit. Wasn't cold for a moment, even making dives up to 90+ min

R..

Ishie:
You can feel like you're suffocating in too warm water with a too thick suit though.

I did 82-84 in the PI with a 3/2 full and I was quite warm, even when not working hard.

That's a good point. This is where personal preference enters the equation. I'll just qualify my previous comments by saying that I like to be warm....reeeeeaaallyy warm.

I'll wear my drysuit in water up to 18C....but then again, I make a lot of deepish dives and I'm often in the water for upwards of 2 hours. Exposure time makes a big difference. When I'm training in the pool (which is shallow but 28C) then I just use the 5mm outer layer of my wetsuit (looks like a shorty with a hood but no arms) and it keeps me warm for an hour. People who go in the pool without any exposure protection get cold to the point of shivering.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom