23 1/2 hrs. to Palau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mars2u

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Yep...a long trip as I'm sure many of you can imagine. Of course I'm hopeful the long trip will be worth it in the long run. I travel by plane on business across the U.S. and have been to europe dozens of times...but that's "only" 8 hrs. trans-atlantic, and even then I get a little stir-crazy. I don't know about 23 1/2 hours though.

Would like any additional suggestions for making the time pass quicker on the trip...here's what I have planned so far:

1) Stay up the night before. I have a 6:30 a.m. flight, so I'll sleep as much as I can on the plane.
2) Grab a book...that'll keep me busy for 30 minutes
3) I bought an MP3 player...probably 3-4 hours at best.
4) Palm pilot for solitaire...that'll keep my busy for 5 minutes

Any suggestions?

You have that to look forward to. By your guesstimate, I would say you'll have a total of 30 minutes solidly invested in movies you'd never dare watch any other day.

If you're doing an mp3 player, you might want to try some "books on tape" that way you don't actually have to pay attention to them and can try some sleepy action.

PM me for suggestions.

Rachel

When on a long trip like that, just see your physician for a sleeping pill or two, one for the way down, one for the way back.

Have a blast,
Caymaniac:D

"books on tape"

That's a good idea. Thanks for the reply.

I would say you'll have a total of 30 minutes solidly invested in movies you'd never dare watch any other day.

Ahhh yes, the movies. Gotta love'em...sometimes I just switch the channel to watch Eddie Murphy speaking in German or Japanese.

I flew to Europe once and they were showing CASTAWAY!!! LOL...I gave them a bunch of grief about that. I just watched the horror on the faces of the other passengers watching the scene as the plane was going down.:D

If you go on the milk run through micronesia then you get plenty of stops to stretch your legs - but no films on the plane. If you are going that route a portable DVD could be handy - saw Aquatec and his crew with a couple last year. Also if you are doing that route it is not much more expensive to go business class and I wish I had (Guam - Majuro last year)

Jonathan

I'm with caymaniac. I have flown to India several times, which runs 24 to 26 hours. The doc gave me a prescription for Ambien. Worked great, got a good 8 hours sleep and no noticable side effects. Otherwise, if you don't sleep you'll really feel like crap when you get there.

Norda once bubbled...
The doc gave me a prescription for Ambien.

That's right on Norda, that's what I get from the Doc.
Don't feel too bad "mars2u", we're headed to Australia....GRR, Houston, Honolulu, Guam, Cairns :eek: , just time your sleep period so that you change your sleep schedule to coinside with the time zone you will be visiting.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac:D

I've made the trip to Palau 3 times (1994, 1997 & 2001).
You can break up the trip with an overnight in either Honolulu or Guam, if You want to. When it comes to traveling like this, I have found that You MUST go to bed with the locals and get up with the locals (local time) or your body's time clock simply will not get in sync. When there, make sure You dive 'Blue Corner' and the 'Blue Holes'. These are Signature Dives for Palau

Have a Great Trip!:)

Scuba Chip once bubbled...
I've made the trip to Palau 3 times (1994, 1997 & 2001).

All right, you're officially an addict :D
I am on my way of being a Palau addict myself (wish it weren't so darn expensive).
Have you been on liveaboards in Palau all 3 times? any recommendations?

We were on the Big Blue Explorer last month, and had a blast!! you can read my trip report (which includes a few video clips as well) here: http://www.scubadiving.com/members/tripreports.php?s=2011

Cheers

Yeah, I admit to being a liveaboard addict.
I always dive liveaboards. (I have been known to do Land based diving with a group of friends from the Local Dive Shop). My first trip to Palau in '94 was on the original Sun Dancer (now named Star Dancer). The second trip '97 was aboard the Sun Dancer II.

My 3rd Palau trip, 2001, was aboard the Palau Aggressor.
The Dancer crews (all of them no matter the location) continually cry for tips. That hasn't been my experience on Aggressors. The Palau Aggressor Chef (Andrew) was about the best liveaboard chef I have ever had the pleasure of. We enjoyed roasted duck with cherry sauce (as an example) on the Palau Aggressor.

The El Nino year (1998) really did a number on Palau's reefs. While the deeper signature dives are still great, the shallows now leave much to be desired. .:wink:

Back
Top Bottom