2024: view for primary/backup torches, and dive knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

L2m

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello there,

It's the season to clear up wardrobe and I was thinking whether or not to buy some new gears for myself and a club that I might start running with others next year. I'm starting to look for new trends on primary and backup torches since my old ones had some certain flaws that start to become unappreciated over time. After browsing so many options online I have quite a few problems:

- Power switches for torches: Previously I was told mechanical lever-based switches are the most rugged and reliable option (eg. Halcyon Focus's switch and light intensity control), or the "twist" switch where you engage battery by twisting the torch head against body (often for backup torches). However, these days I saw a large growing trends on button-based switches especially from virtually all OrcaTorch brands. Many manufacturers claimed the button is what's called a magnet-based button and is very resilient to damage and use over time. I also recently know some people (tech divers committing to some very challenging dives) recommending OrcaTorch or similar stuff themselves. May I ask if these magnet buttons are as reliable as they are advertised?

- Battery option for backups: I was told previously that rechargeable battery's lifespan deteriorated over time and non-rechargable batteries are great for backups and dive computer like Shearwater. However most torches these days rely on some Li-ion batteries that look the same as an old-school rechargeable battery - I've never seen these before, are these reliable for long-term use?

- Dive knife: I'm looking for an elegant piece of all-purpose knife mounted on my BP webbing's wrist band. I have already had a linecutter mounted next to my computer on right hand. I'm struggling to choose between Halcyon Explorer knife and Halcyon multi-tool - I really bloody like Halcyon explorer's look and that I could customise the knife handle myself, but Halcyon multi-tool could provide some useful utilities that many divers I know have found useful in a pitch situation. For the next year there might also be some scenarios I'll have to make "field repairs" to regulators for others next to water entry. Has anyone used both and are willing to share some thoughts?

Sorry for the long question list. Thank you in advance for any good suggestions!

I've seen the switches on OrcaTorches fail. My twist on Salvos, Light Monkeys, and Halcyons work just fine, and have always worked just fine. I would avoid OrcaTorch in general.

Rechargeable batteries are getting better, but I still vastly prefer alkaline batteries. Easier to get a hold of no matter where you are, and realistically, you aren't switching to a backup unless your primary has failed. Just change the batteries out every 6 months or so, or after prolonged use.

My primaries are rechargeable.

An all-purpose knife is a knife. It cuts things. The Halcyon explorer is nice, but so is a cut-off steak knife. I wouldn't rely on a knife to be my toolkit. I keep a separate multitool in my wetnotes for that purpose.

I've seen the switches on OrcaTorches fail. My twist on Salvos, Light Monkeys, and Halcyons work just fine, and have always worked just fine. I would avoid OrcaTorch in general.

Rechargeable batteries are getting better, but I still vastly prefer alkaline batteries. Easier to get a hold of no matter where you are, and realistically, you aren't switching to a backup unless your primary has failed. Just change the batteries out every 6 months or so, or after prolonged use.

My primaries are rechargeable.

An all-purpose knife is a knife. It cuts things. The Halcyon explorer is nice, but so is a cut-off steak knife. I wouldn't rely on a knife to be my toolkit. I keep a separate multitool in my wetnotes for that purpose.
It’s sad to hear that… I hope these start up companies could make better stuff by improving on old ones. I’m also appalled by that 70% I saw on google now only had button switches.

Would you recommend OrcaTorch for recreational divers then? Like <30 metres, open water with no overhead or recretional wreck maximum. I might need to buy some in numbers for a club.

In your last paragraph I’m a little unsure what you mean - do you keep a non-knife like multi tool in your wetnote? Or what multitool do people recommend?

It’s sad to hear that… I hope these start up companies could make better stuff by improving on old ones. I’m also appalled by that 70% I saw on google now only had button switches.

Would you recommend OrcaTorch for recreational divers then? Like <30 metres, open water with no overhead or recretional wreck maximum. I might need to buy some in numbers for a club.

In your last paragraph I’m a little unsure what you mean - do you keep a non-knife like multi tool in your wetnote? Or what multitool do people recommend?
I truthfully wouldn't recommend OrcaTorch to anyone. Just about everyone I know with one has had problems crop up sooner rather than later. The cheap up front costs are appealing, but in this case, like many others, you get what you pay for. For my recreational diving, I use a Salvo Rat Jr. (now the Light Monkey 2W).

I use a Pandora multitool, a 6" adjustable wrench, and a bag of O rings tucked in my wetnotes, but things like the XS Scuba multitool will do just fine too. I want my cutting tool to be as low profile as possible while still being easily accessible with both hands. I'm sure others with more experience than I may be able to weigh in on what multitools they use, but I look for high quality stainless steel or titanium since all my diving is in the ocean and I don't like having to replace tools that constantly rot away.

I'd be in the dark without my orca torch without my orca torch without my orca torch

049.JPG

and my other two torches

OrcaTorch has a very robust YouTube marketing campaign. But if you look at some of the divers who "review" the light, it becomes obvious that one should consider the source...

Light Monkey, DiveRite, Halcyon are solid options. DGX lighs are very good, budget options.

UWLD is still the top choice for serious tech diving.

Rechargeable batteries with reputable core - typically, core "made in Japan" - are solid. There are multiple threads on the subject.

Alkaline batteries are common and cheap. Lights relying on alkaline batteries will usually not provide constant output as light becomes dim over time. However, the tech is super reliable. Heser, Halcyon, and Light Monkey make very good alkaline battery powered lights, if that's your game.

FWIW, the light I hear the most problems about is the Halcyon Focus 2. 100% of the owners I know have had problems.
How large is the sample size? 100% of a sample of one or are we talking like 3-5+?

With a lot of folks shitting on Orca you need to consider where they're good and where they probably shouldn't.

Anything in open water an Orca torch will meet or exceed your requirements.

Anything going into a cave might be best to have a higher quality and cost primary, but could still clip off an Orca as a backup.

They work great especially for the cost

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom