2022 is here…

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your question caught my interest because I'm shopping for Boise><Roatan in July. Boise, which is a longer flight than ORD can be had for ~$900 / Basic Economy on UA. For my kids it's $860. Standard Economy from Seattle. Checking ORD >< Roatan the prices are surprisingly consistently high! I don't know what to say. but good luck.

Your question caught my interest because I'm shopping for Boise><Roatan in July. Boise, which is a longer flight than ORD can be had for ~$900 / Basic Economy on UA. For my kids it's $860. Standard Economy from Seattle. Checking ORD >< Roatan the prices are surprisingly consistently high! I don't know what to say. but good luck.
Yeah it’s weird. I’ve been to Roatan 3 times over the past five years and never paid more than $650 a ticket.

We had to cancel our plans for January but we hope to be there in early March. If we do make it by then, it will have been exactly two years since our last trip. Thank goodness for drysuits and Canadian wreck diving or I would have lost my mind!

Price can be high for Saturday flights, with USA>RTB without diversion, “non-stop”.

Posts “boasting” of cheap fares seem to omit a lot of details. I would rather arrive at Noon Saturday for that extra bunch-o-money. Vacay time is valuable.

Price can be high for Saturday flights, with USA>RTB without diversion, “non-stop”.

Posts “boasting” of cheap fares seem to omit a lot of details. I would rather arrive at Noon Saturday for that extra bunch-o-money. Vacay time is valuable.
While shopping for my Boise and Seattle fares to RTB I was surprised to see Sat depart / Sun return, one day/ one stop flights were among the cheapest available. There's just no way to figure. Although not cheap they weren't outrageous.

One piece of advice I have for others is always try to book directly with an airlines. At least you'll have someone to talk to at the airport when things go wrong. If you book with a third party the airlines will do their best to disown you. If you find a good itinerary on third party visit the airline site and look there. On single carrier / group itineraries the price will likely be the same. I have booked through Expedia et al, but only if they offer a really good flight/ hotel/ car package.

Reactions: Doc
Just back from 2 weeks at CCV, managed to make it through fine. We had many good days of diving and it was great to see everyone down there again. We took a day off due to an ear infection and were pretty relaxed therefore from our 12 days of diving we got in a mere 36 dives. Averaged almost 64 mins on average and had our longest dive ever at 86 minutes. Also followed Doc’s advice and did a long shallow dive across the top of CCV Wall when it was glassy the first week.

Even though it is a small island and a small resort, Covid is still everywhere. We swung the pendulum between feeling safe to anxious depending on the week. I’ll just say it’s clear people have followed different protocols depending on where they are from...and in some cases perhaps none.

We seem to be going every couple of years or so and are hopeful on our next trip things will have settled down. We were really happy to get down and see our friends at the resort and look forward to “going home” again.

heading to Seagrape in March. American Airlines just sent us our 3rd (or is it 4th?...) flight change today. Our preferred flights are Vancouver to either Houston or Dallas first day then to RTB the next day. We booked that profile originally then had a couple minor changes. Then they hit us with an additional first day stop in Seattle with an all day layover and redeye to catch the same next morning flight. After a call we were able to get back into our preferred overnight layover (not sure why they gave us the weird seattle layover) but this latest change now has us go YVR-DFW overnight layover, DFW-MIA-RTB. Seems like Sat direct flights are no longer offered from DFW?

I put in April dates for 2 weeks
$560
AA.png

American
7:20 am12:58 pm6h 38mMKE to RTBDFW
1:37 pm10:47 pm8h 10mRTB to MKEMIA
1642008741523.png
$560
AA.png

American
2:46 pm10:55 pm7h 9mRTB to MKEDFW
1642008741537.png
Details ▼
$560
AA.png

American
2:46 pm9:18 am
May 5
17h 32mRTB to MKEDFW
1642008741551.png
1642008741564.png
$565
AA.png

American
2:46 pm12:42 pm
May 5
20h 56mRTB to MKEDFW
1642008741578.png
1642008741592.png
$565
AA.png

American
2:46 pm4:40 pm
May 5

While shopping for my Boise and Seattle fares to RTB I was surprised to see Sat depart / Sun return, one day/ one stop flights were among the cheapest available. There's just no way to figure. Although not cheap they weren't outrageous.

One piece of advice I have for others is always try to book directly with an airlines. At least you'll have someone to talk to at the airport when things go wrong. If you book with a third party the airlines will do their best to disown you. If you find a good itinerary on third party visit the airline site and look there. On single carrier / group itineraries the price will likely be the same. I have booked through Expedia et al, but only if they offer a really good flight/ hotel/ car package.
scrane:
We travel down from Boise to AKR 02/18 for a week. Our fares were $640 and booked them back in September. Itinerary started as a single day trip down on 2/19 BOI/HOU/RTB, but got changed by UA to a wacky 1 1/2 day layover in Houston. Took a couple of phone calls, but now we leave on Friday through DEN and overnight in Houston. Up early, but land in RTB at 10:40am. Airlines almost make us feel like they don't want us to fly with them. Itinerary back is a single day trip. Only once in 11 years of flying down to RTB have we been able to travel down in a day. Coming home not so bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom