2015 Goliath Grouper Aggregation (Full Moon Dates)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are trying to capture spawning, then the moon phase probably matters. If you just want the aggregations, you have a very wide window of opportunity.

John, it all depends on the footage I get from the dives. I mostly produce marine life conservation videos that explains to divers and non-divers, the importance and benefits of marine life conservation and eco tourism. The Goliaths comeback is mostly due to the protection that the state has given this species. One of many things I've learned about making these types of conservation videos, is that there will always be people who have their own personal interests and view points in opposition. The old line of "you can't please everybody" definitely holds true when touching on controversial subjects. I do my best to research and show both sides of the controversy; I always have source back up to the information I present, should I be called out on any of it. When putting controversial subject matters in front of the public, one has to be able to accept criticism and prejudices in response. I think the pulling of the video you mention for the reason is unwarranted. That's like showing a video of a Stuart Cove's shark feed and saying, "see, plenty of sharks in the ocean; they don't need any protection". The opposition will always spin any information they can to strengthen their side of the argument. I produce the videos and let the public fight it out; I must say, it gets pretty ugly sometimes. If I get the message out to just a few people who say " wow, I did not know that, what can "I do" to help our marine environment", then I have been successful in my video production goals.

I was attending an UW photography lecture the other day and the presenter said something about an upcoming Goliath Aggregation photo contest that was going be national or perhaps bigger.

Has anyone heard of this?

soundfield,

I'm not sure where you intend to dive during your visit. You might want to try to hit the Castor in Boynton Beach for a dive or two, aggregation there is fantastic.

Good diving, Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom