2012 Our World Underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Below is my how I saw it to your statement. My answers to your statement will be in red

A quick round up of the event from my perspective:

I was surprised at how busy the show was overall. The size of the show was about right, didnt get to see any seminars as I was manning the booth and doing the rounds:)
The show has actually gotten smaller. I think 15.00 dollars is a little steep basically just to wander around you have to pay extra for any seminars or workshop. 5.00 should be the price then you pay for your seminars
I thought the venue / location was great. The CTA Blue line was right outside, most hotels had courtesy shuttles from O'Hare, so it was a piece of cake to get to and from the airport, the convention center, the hotels and downtown chicago
This is correct. However! This is how we arrived in Rosemont. It was a good 10minute walk from the hotel zone to the Blue line station. Then another 40 minute ride on the train. The walk is not something a lot of people are going to feel comfortable with doing especially at night. The Ride 40min is a long time. Then if your not familiar with the city how do you know what stop to get off. To eat, drink, whatever, If the show was in a downtown location it would be more like hey were going to eat and hang out at X. go out the door walk 2 blocks and turn right walk 1 block it will be on your left. Simple and most people if they traveled in pairs or more would feel comfortable doing that. Plus you would have a multitude of other options.

We did one trip down town for classic chicago pizza which was fantastic and I did another to see Guns N Roses for a once in a lifetime perfomance at the House of Blues. I managed to snag a ticket from a friends dad for which I am eternally grateful. He could have sold it for upwards of $800 outside. Even the box office tried to buy it off him. The city was really clean and the people were friendly. (I guess Im just used to Miami, which is the opposite)

My room in the executive wing of the Hyatt was $114 per night, a great rate I thought. For those that wanted to spend less, you could easily get the CTA in from a cheaper hotel outside Rosemont. Food and drinks in the venue were predictably extortionate, about right in the hotel and incredibly cheap in downtown chicago. If you know where to go, you will eat and drink well for no more than your local town. Our hosts pointed out these places, where you pay about $20 - $30 average. My bill for 2 x medium pizzas at a very popular restaurant was $28 between 3 of us with free beer. I dont think that was intentional though So once again why not just have it in the city where it is cheaper and more options for cheaper eating and beer thirty options.

Back the show - I met lots of great people running small charter boats in the great lakes. These guys are passionate about what they do and are highly skilled skippers. A resource that seems under utilized. I encourage people interested in wrecks to check them out. The national park service was there too with a neat 3D movie of the wrecks in their booth.
I will admit That 3d video was the most impressive thing I have ever seen. Im a cold water wreck diver and it really impressed me

I also made some great connections and reconnected with customers who have dove with me over the last 6 years. I recognized so many of them that it must be due to the friendliness of people up there that makes a lasting impression.

Manufacturers were present as usual, although not necessarily in force compared to trade shows such as DEMA. The continued growth of tec was evident, with plenty of CCR's and sidemount stuff.

The only downer was the cold. Thankfully it was apparently extremely mild weather for the time of year. Good job as I dont own a jacket :)

Chris, it was good meeting you. I was working at the VR booth all weekend, I look forward to coming down and diving with you this summer.

Hey Bob! It was good to meet you too. Yes, come down and dive in the warm salt! I guess I will also get hounded by you guys until I get my blue smurf gloves on and dive the green stuff! :D

Below is my how I saw it to your statement. My answers to your statement will be in red

Sure, I hear ya. Having it downtown would be nice, I guess it all comes down to the $$$

Was in in danger on the Blue line then? I didnt feel concerned late at night. Not like London where some 15 year old hoodie will stab you as soon as look at you:angrymob:

I'm lucky enough to live in the Milwaukee area. OWU cannot touch Ghost Ships dollar for dollar , event for event. Not event close. Our World is handicapped by being located in a s hole south of the Wisconsin border. Everything is expensive. logistics suck, eveything else is a wash. I know the zombies feel different, but thats why they are zombies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom