2010 Fitness Exercise Challenge!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I practice Kung Fu twice a week, (no, I'm a looonngg way from being dangerous), and work on my divemaster stuff once a week. I also spend a lot of time building things. Does that count? Of course I'm an old fart of 65+, trying to outrun old age! :D

I practice Kung Fu twice a week, (no, I'm a looonngg way from being dangerous), and work on my divemaster stuff once a week. I also spend a lot of time building things. Does that count? Of course I'm an old fart of 65+, trying to outrun old age! :D

Well the real question is.... How's all that working out for you? :zen:

I'm in. My wife and I have been making a ton of life style change. We have both lost 40lbs this last year. We rewarded ourselves by enrolling in a padi open water class. I am beginning weight training 3 days a week with a buddy next week.

Wednesday: 2010 March 31
Morning Walk - 10 minutes @ 4.0 miles per hour = 71 calories burned

I wanted to test the ability to do Reverse Hypers (Low back exercises) on our Glute-Ham Developer (GHD) after reading an article regarding the benefit of decompressing the lower back (especially after heavy squats or deadlifts).

Workout:
Reverse Hyper x 10 x 2 (second set with blue band providing resistance)
Rope Pulls x 10 x 2 (laying back and pulling myself from 60 degree angle to 30 degree angle)
Ring Chinups x 5 (using false grip)

I had a 205# weighted barbell from Deadlifting the other day that I wanted up on the rack at chest level. If I could Power Clean that much weight (which I can't), it would have been a cake walk, but instead of just taking the weights off and moving the barbell up, I deadlifted the weight up to the bottom stops at hip level. Then I squatted under the bar and got into a good Front Squat position. If I'd gone any lower, my a$$ would have been on the ground beneath my feet, so this was a good test to see if I could move this weight from a dead stop at the bottom of the squat. (Normally the squat is a bit of a plyometric movement that takes advantage of the "rubber band" effect of the muscles to help "lift" you out of the bottom after being stretched during the descent). After a moment or two of 2nd thoughts, I gave it a hearty go and stood up with the weight. My best Front Squat is 265#, but I've NEVER started that low in the bottom of a squat with a weighted barbell, nor have I done heavy squats in the past couple of months. Success!!! Must be all the low squats I've done moving and packing boxes into storage for the past month... LOL

And/or smaller cylinder requirments...:thumb:

Not even.... she's carrying her buddy's reserve gas. LOL

Yeah, they are pretty happy I'm tough enough to schlep these HP100's around :). But my eyes do occasionally wander to the Faber LP85's.

If I saw a really good deal on a used set, I just couldn't say no :).

I'm in. My wife and I have been making a ton of life style change. We have both lost 40lbs this last year. We rewarded ourselves by enrolling in a padi open water class. I am beginning weight training 3 days a week with a buddy next week.

Wednesday: 2010 March 31
Morning Walk - 10 minutes @ 4.0 miles per hour = 71 calories burned

Congrats! That's excellent!

I My best Front Squat is 265#, but I've NEVER started that low in the bottom of a squat with a weighted barbell, nor have I done heavy squats in the past couple of months. Success!!! Must be all the low squats I've done moving and packing boxes into storage for the past month... LOL

:clapping:

Yeah, they are pretty happy I'm tough enough to schlep these HP100's around :). But my eyes do occasionally wander to the Faber LP85's.

Penny and I told ourselves that if we ever move to Northern Florida, we'd cave dive in wetsuits and LP85's. If the whole team does it, you're good to go!! :D

I have a set ready for your next S Florida visit. :thumb: Best cylinders around...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom