2008 SEC Football Discussion Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but are you a Spurrier fan? :popcorn:

It has taken a while. But, I must admit I'm a fan of the Old Ball Coach.

"Williams-Brice Stadium: Columbia, SC: Looks like an upside down cockroach."

Really? How so?

"Also, its on the fairgrounds in Columbia, making it the only SEC stadium not on campus. I find that to be a pity, as I think the experience of SEC football is made to be played on campus."

I have to agree with you on this one. But unfortunately USC's campus is spread throughout Columbia. It does detract from the college atmosphere.

"Whoever came up with the idea for the Gamecock squall should be shot."

Umm..... roosters don't squall dude. But I find the CROWING annoying as well.

"That has to be the most annoying sound in the SEC."

Rocky Top, you have to admit, its a tad worn out.

"Don't know when it was built, but I would guess it is about due for a renovation."

The stadium was originally built in 1934, with the additions of the west upper deck in 1972 and the east upper in 1982. Yes, it is due for renovation. Plans are in the works as we speak.

"Everything is hidden behind and under the stands, so if you leave the stands, you can't tell what it going on."

I think this is true in every stadium built. I've never seen concession stands in the seating area. No restrooms either. Not in any stadium in the SEC. But we do have TV's. In color too!

"Sadly, I think when Spurrier steps down in the near future, they aren't going to be able to sustain much. He seems to be what keeps the program running."

While I don't possess the ability to predict the future, I'm unsure what you mean by "sustain much" when he soon departs? Coach Spurrier is a large draw, no doubt. However, the University Of South Carolina has very solid ticket sales throughout the late 70's to the present. The sales actually rivaling those high tear programs. There is also talk of a seating tax being discussed, that would generate around 13 million in addition to the cost of seats and club membership dues. I think Georgia and Florida do the same, but I'm unsure about other schools. Our facilities are being upgraded drastically. Take a look at the Colonial Life Arena & our new baseball arena. The University is pouring millions into the Athletic Department in a attempt to bring us from a solid mid tear program to a upper tear. Something is going to change. Or were going to go broke trying.

sporket:
"Williams-Brice Stadium: Columbia, SC: Looks like an upside down cockroach."

Really? How so?

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/promos/politics/blog/screengrab-stadium.jpg

Just looks like a cockroach on its back to me. Anyone else see it? Maybe it's just me.

sporket:
"Also, its on the fairgrounds in Columbia, making it the only SEC stadium not on campus. I find that to be a pity, as I think the experience of SEC football is made to be played on campus."

I have to agree with you on this one. But unfortunately USC's campus is spread throughout Columbia. It does detract from the college atmosphere.

"Whoever came up with the idea for the Gamecock squall should be shot."

Umm..... roosters don't squall dude. But I find the CROWING annoying as well.

"That has to be the most annoying sound in the SEC."

Rocky Top, you have to admit, its a tad worn out.

I'll admit, it gets old. However, it doesn't hurt your ears (literally, not figuratively), and it hasn't gotten reprimanded by the conference.

sporket:
"Don't know when it was built, but I would guess it is about due for a renovation."

The stadium was originally built in 1934, with the additions of the west upper deck in 1972 and the east upper in 1982. Yes, it is due for renovation. Plans are in the works as we speak.

"Everything is hidden behind and under the stands, so if you leave the stands, you can't tell what it going on."

I think this is true in every stadium built. I've never seen concession stands in the seating area. No restrooms either. Not in any stadium in the SEC. But we do have TV's. In color too!

No, but most other SEC stadiums have everything with either sight lines towards the field, or a whole lot closer to the entrance to the stadium. Kentucky and Georgia jump out to me as stadiums where you can see the game from the concourses, and Tennessee, Florida, and Alabama jump out as having the concession stands and restrooms right at the exit. USCe you have to go out, down the ramps, walk around, find a concession stand, watch the TV, because they realize you are that far from the game, wait in line, etc. Its just a long process. Nothing horribly wrong with it. Reminded me of Memphis and the Liberty Bowl; same setup.

sporket:
"Sadly, I think when Spurrier steps down in the near future, they aren't going to be able to sustain much. He seems to be what keeps the program running."

While I don't possess the ability to predict the future, I'm unsure what you mean by "sustain much" when he soon departs? Coach Spurrier is a large draw, no doubt. However, the University Of South Carolina has very solid ticket sales throughout the late 70's to the present. The sales actually rivaling those high tear programs. There is also talk of a seating tax being discussed, that would generate around 13 million in addition to the cost of seats and club membership dues. I think Georgia and Florida do the same, but I'm unsure about other schools. Our facilities are being upgraded drastically. Take a look at the Colonial Life Arena & our new baseball arena. The University is pouring millions into the Athletic Department in a attempt to bring us from a solid mid tear program to a upper tear. Something is going to change. Or were going to go broke trying.

You have had what, 10 years now, with Hall of Fame coaches? Holtz and Spurrier are going to be two of the better coaches to coach in the SEC, and neither has been able to have sustained success at USCe. Last year, you started looking good (was it a 6-0 start?) only to end the season without a bowl game. The bowls took a 6-6 Alabama team, that lost to a Directional Louisiana team, mostly because of their fan base. And that's with Steve Spurrier as your coach. I simply don't see much sustained performance once he is gone. Surely coaches realize the task in front of them, as they have seen two of the best coaches put up mediocre records there. While good facilities are generally needed to win, having great facilities doesn't ensure winning. I'm afraid that if the Ole Ball Coach doesn't put up a better season before he retires, USCe will be stuck in the second tier forever. Having said that, I don't want it to happen, because I honestly enjoy the competition in the SEC, and always want to see everyone in the conference do better.

mike_s:
I have seen that with Tenn fans... but mostly stories of if you have the opossing team parnaphanelia on your car, stuff like they won't let you park in "their" parking lots... a few stories of cars with visiting team logo's in the back window smashed out with bricks after a loss.

Tenn fans seem to be "fair weather fans" in my opinion. They don't seem to support their team well during a loss. (just my opinion).

Many are. If I have learned anything here, that may be it. I honestly think kickoff at Neyland may be the quietest 107,000 people that are trying to be loud. It just doesn't happen usually. There have been a few times it gets loud though, and those times are great. You can look at 2005 as a time that shows who your true fans are. By the end of the season, the stadium looked half deserted. The worst feeling in there is when the Vandy contingent is louder than your home crowd, and sadly, I've seen it.

[/quote]You have had what, 10 years now, with Hall of Fame coaches? Holtz and Spurrier are going to be two of the better coaches to coach in the SEC, and neither has been able to have sustained success at USCe. Last year, you started looking good (was it a 6-0 start?) only to end the season without a bowl game. The bowls took a 6-6 Alabama team, that lost to a Directional Louisiana team, mostly because of their fan base. And that's with Steve Spurrier as your coach. I simply don't see much sustained performance once he is gone. Surely coaches realize the task in front of them, as they have seen two of the best coaches put up mediocre records there. While good facilities are generally needed to win, having great facilities doesn't ensure winning. I'm afraid that if the Ole Ball Coach doesn't put up a better season before he retires, USCe will be stuck in the second tier forever. Having said that, I don't want it to happen, because I honestly enjoy the competition in the SEC, and always want to see everyone in the conference do better.[/quote]

USCe? As in east? I thought this was a SEC Football Discussion forum? Sorry, I presumed you would know what school I was referring to. As far as the 10 years of mediocre performance under both Holtz & Spurrier, we don't have much to crow about. We did put up back to back wins against OHS (Ohio State) which a year later won the national championship. As far as last year, when we cracked the top 10 we were clearly overrated as most fans knew at the time. Facilities are extremely important to win. These kids today are extremely knowledgeable. Tradition, coaches, and fans alone doesn't bring in recruits anymore. Your facilities plays a major factor in bringing the kids to your school. A great example, Oregon. Like the majority of SEC fans, you got to hope everyone has a stellar season. The SEC is where football is at. I hope we keep it like that again this year.

while Rocky Top gets old. it's not near as annoying as the chant of FSU fans doing their Woooooaaaawaaaawaaaaaa chant.

No, no, no. The Georgia fans barking! There is nothing more entertaining. Well, my fellow drunken Carolina fans doing there rendition of a rooster crowing. Thats tops. I make a point to make eye contact, and laugh at them. LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom