2006 year in Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

octotat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK Dixie Divers. It's that time a year again for the year in review. Things that went well, things that didn't go well, new gear, new people met. After the New Year well start a new thread on 2007 Goals. These threads were pretty popular last year, I hope it goes as well this time around. I'll start off

Trips - Started the New Year in the Keys diving for Lobster. Got to meet Biscuit7 from the Conch Divers. Bonaire in July, where I got my girlfriend certified :) A quick road trip to the Cooper River, then a quick weekend trip to Dutch Springs to dive with a few of the Wreck Valley guys and gals.

Gear
- Apeks BP/W !!!!! and a new tank:D

Finds - Lots of shark teeth, whale inner ear bones and Indian arrowhead from the Cooper, some great antique bottles including a 100 year old brown straight sided Coke, and a huge Danforth fluke anchor that I got 50 bucks for:D

Most memorable dive moment - Watching a huge tarpon body slam a small barracuda on a night dive in Bonaire.

SB'er Met - Almost too many to remember them all this year, but the highlight was the Kraken!

Trips: Visited Bermuda, spent more time on the Gulf Coast this year than last, Dove the Mighty "O" with Gary's, Dove Panama City for the first time in over 10 years, Did some winter diving in colder water than normal.

Gear: New Brigade! Tanks, even played with tiny doubles for a while. Finger Spools, 3mil shorty.

Finds: Nothing to talk about, really. One brass pin from the Paddlewheeler, a piece of hair jewelry lost on the Montana in Bermuda,

Memorable dive moments: Finding a new shipwreck (LOL) (on snorkel).Looking out the side of the Oriskany into clear water and seeing the snapper lined up looking back at me. Oh, and CrabGrab 2006!

SBer's met: Two Phils from Mobile, PHD, MDB (she's still on my ignore list), GlenFWB, dnos, GulfDiver77, Tom Wicker, PerroneFord, kentley, etc.

SBer's met SBM, Paulwall, GlenFWB. My dive year hasn't went well. I am looking forward to 07

Trips - Best trip was to Turks and Caicos - Salt Cay. I also got to dive the O several times and the Speigel Grove in the Keys.

Gear - I bought a new camera, dropped it and broke it. Bought another one. I also got a great dive watch - St. Moritz that I dropped overboard. If you need new gear just get on the boat after me. I also lost a couple of knives.

Finds - I got some really great anchors.

Memorable moments - I shot a 23 lb Red Snapper, that was great. I also made my 100th dive in the early summer.

Trips - First trip to Dutch Springs.

Gear - all new gear for Christmas...Pinnacle Elite wetsuit, Oceaninc regulators and Probe LX BC

Finds - found myself super excited about getting back into diving

Memorable moments - that first dive at DS...after all those years...

Trips - Dive trip to Bonaire for 10 days (first trip)! Fantastic place to dive! Now I am having PBD! :wink:

Gear - not much, just a little things like bungee, etc...

Finds - none

Most memorable dive moment - In Bonaire, on the last day of diving, my buddy and I went night diving at Eden's Rubbles. Tarpon swam 1 inch from my mask, what a spooky moment!! :dropmouth And then, it's about time for us to finish our dive, we finally saw the HUGE green moray eel just under the ledges near the shore.

SB'er Met - the Kraken, and other SBers at DiveHaven and Gray's Reef.

Got OW certification. That was a blast.

Trips: My only trip was spearfishing in Panama City.Now I am Hooked, or Speared.

Gear: Everthing you get starting out. Still need 7mil wetsuit and tanks.

Sber's Met:SBM,CorallineDream,Luster,Long Frogman,Tom Wicker,RdHarbis1 and wife,Philmottrek99and02 and meeting many more Sat. 12/16

Had a great year and plan on having a better one next year diving.

Thanks to all SB'ers.

Trips - Florida Caves (three times), Morehead City (twice), Cozumel, and DEMA.

Gear
- 3 new wings, a new SS BP, an AL BP, 3 new regs, AL80 doubles, LP85 doubles, HP130 doubles, AL30, AL40, 10w HID, Salvo 400', etc, etc. . .

Training
- Cavern & Basic Cave, ScubaPro Reg Tech

2006 Dives - 99 and counting

Most memorable dive moment - Seeing two ENORMOUS sting rays on the Shurtz

SB'er Met - Martha, Leah, JocasseeGirl, Moose, cool_hardwear52, Randy-TDL, Rich Courtney

Trips - Whiskey Wreck with Mat, Key Largo with my son, Blue Water Adventures with my friend and his kids.

Gear - XS Tri-Metal reg and matching octo. Darwin computer

Training - First night dive (Whiskey Wreck)

2006 dives - 5

Most memorable dive moment - seeing a big barracuda up close in Florida

SB'er met - Coralline Dream, Lone Frogman and Snepdiver

Trips - None, but since I live on Bonaire...

Training - Recompression Chamber Certification

2006 Dives 2 (hey running a business in paradise is not that easy!)

Most memorable dive: First dive since my brain surgery in October 2006 Yipee!

SB'ers meet: Netdoc and company at DEMA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom