2 Questions from UK :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are two schools in or around Cambridge.

CDWC (you mentioned) do dry suit training but apparently don't provide rental suits (they only rent semi's). EASOD (part of Mikes) are the same but will give you the training for free if you buy a suit from them.

The nearest place that does the training and rents the suits is DiveIn near peterborough, but as I don't have transport and would have a lot of trouble getting there for the times of the courses by public transport, I would have to take time off work and get a room over night which majorly adds to the hassle and cost factors. I am beginning to think it might be worth having a weekend away in the northern Med and do my training there as I would get a lot more for the money and have a nice break into the bargain.....but time is the constraining factor.

By the way, as an alternative approach I have mailed a couple of UK manufacturers asking for advice on buying a suit as if I could increase my confidence in the choice of suit I would happily buy one before training. But none of them are replying, looks like customer service is optional these days :)

I'm not sure what course your doing, not sure if you've mentioned. Assuming it's your OW and you've not started yet..

Another suggestion is to say your going to buy a suit from the place that's doing your training. They will usually let you try the suits for the pool section of your training at least. This should give you a fairly good idea on the fit, comfort level, etc.

I'm a RD, but new to UK waters so want to do a Dry Suit course. I know I'll be diving in a years time and beyond so I have no problem buying a suit before the course, IF I can figure out, at least in broad terms, what is the right suit to buy.

As I said I am new to UK diving so I would like a suit that is suitable for UK year round and also suitable for my more wreck/tech ambitions. The traing will also serve to get me 'orientated' a little better to UK conditions.

The suits I am most interested in from my brief look are the ND CNX and Divemaster, both of which are compressed neoprene which the Diver article suggested was not good for Wreck diving.

Hope this clarifies things

BTW earlier in the thread you mentioned the Diver article and some suits coming out top, I saw reviews of each but didn't see any comparison. Was there one ?

The article I saw was in BSAC Dive I think and the winners were Norther Diver Cortex and Otter Britanica. I've seen other reviews and the Otter and ND suits have scored very well in these as well.

I was going to buy a suit before the course so I could get used to it during the course, but to be honest I don't think it makes that much difference. Unless you end up learning in a Neoprene and then move over to Membrane or vice versa. I would think this would take a little more adjustment.

I'd wait until after the course personally. Then you'll know how the kit works and have something to compare against. You can then go into a dive shop with it's own pool and test some suits out.

Just been up to Capernwray at the weekend and I hired an Otter Skin from Divers Warehouse to see what it was like.

The material and general construction were up to scratch. However, the zip was only taped i.e. no stiching which was disappointing. I believe the next suit up the Britannica does have stiching but this is another £100 up from the Otter Skin.

Unfortunately on the suit I hired both cuffs leaked. I tried adjusting my thinsulate on each dive to see if it was fouling the seal but couldn't solve the problem.

Might have to reconsider my options !!

If you're in Cambridge, what about Dive-In at Gildenburgh Water (Peterborough)?

The Birmingham Lakeside centre will hire kit for the course, so I'm sure they would down at Gildy.

Dive In Website

HTH

Dom

The guys in P'boro would hire a suit, but not having any transport makes it almost impossible to get there for the course.

It also turns out that I may have been misinformed about one of the local shops (CDWC), so I am going to confirm things tomorrow, but it may be that they do let you try the suits and would do a familiarisation course in a pool so you wouldn't have to do the full specialty.

They do Typhoon and Bodyglove (and apparently Northern Diver but may be just to order).

I am getting a lot of positive reccomendations for the Otter suits, but it doesn't look like I'll be able to try one easily without transport.

Still working on it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom