2 more divers dead on 2nd day of lobster mini-season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wouldn't it be easier to just give divers a couple of free lobsters at the beginning of the season. The lobsters couldn't cost much more than the rescue and search efforts.

Hey, I know! Why don't they just pass a no-glove law like they have in Mexico? that should fix it. LOL

well, they haven't found him yet ... but yeah.. i guess it can't be good he's been missing two days

i was following the news ... in 48 hours, four divers dead and one missing (and probably dead) ...

man, i don't like losbter that much

H2Andy:
well, they haven't found him yet ... but yeah.. i guess it can't be good he's been missing two days

i was following the news ... in 48 hours, four divers dead and one missing (and probably dead) ...

man, i don't like losbter that much
yeah true...I shouldn't write him off yet.

Wow, this is bad...
I am glad the Dungee season up here isn't as dangerous.
K

I am not trying to be crass here and my thought's go out to the diver's families.

But, could someone please help this fresh water diver understand why lobster hunting is so dangerous that 3 are dead and 1 is missing in two days?

Thanks

I just came back from duck key and it was a mad house. We were the only ones on the bridge. I went down diving and ran in to others within 20 min's, When I came up there was 4 dive boats within 30 yards of us. No respect from other boaters when we were flying a dive flag with a diver in the water.

I could have been ran over easily if I was not so careful.

IndyScott

My friends and I have a saying out here: The most dangerous animal in the ocean for SCUBA divers is the lobster. We lose two or three a year out here most years, but our season lasts from October to March. We don't have the craziness here that I hear happens in FL during the Mini-Season.
For some reason, some people tend to forget basic survival skills when hunting for bugs. You could equate it to gold fever (red fever?)

Condolences to family...

Quarrior:
But, could someone please help this fresh water diver understand why lobster hunting is so dangerous that 3 are dead and 1 is missing in two days?

I don't know the circumstances regarding these specific cases. But generally, it's not the actual hunt that's dangerous. It's the attraction of the hunt and prey that brings out unprepared divers to do a dive they might otherwise not do, and causes others to do stupid things they might otherwise not do. And when statistically you get divers who fall under both categories, there is a significant and exponential increase in risk. Either way, the result is a statistical numbers game.

Such is the power of Bug Fever.

Back
Top Bottom