2 great dives on the Castor today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Wow, what a difference a day makes. I came down on Wednesday afternoon and was disappointed that I didn't get to dive on Thursday. Seas were high, very windy, rained a lot in the morning. Nobody went out of Boynton Beach or Jupiter.

So today was nearly flat, warm, little wind. Went out with Kevin Metz and Underwater Explorers to the Castor for a double dip. There were only 4 of us on the boat, luxury. First of all, Hurricane Matthew did a job on the Castor. The stern had already been knocked to the starboard by Hurricane Sandy. It got pushed farther to the starboard by Matthew and the prop is now fully exposed. The Goliath Grouper did not seem to mind, still in their usual stern hangouts. The big change was the bow, ripped off and pushed quite severely to the starboard. I was prepared to be saddened by the damage but the Castor is just fine with the changes.

Now the really good stuff. Very little current with a rare free descent and ascent. Visibility was quite good despite particulate, probably 60-70 feet. The water was 83 degrees. There was a very mild north current. I spent most of my time at the bow but the stern was good too. Lots and lots of Goliath Grouper, incredible numbers of bait and balls along with aggressive hunters, Rainbow Runners, Bar Jacks... Huge schools of Horse Eye Jacks, bunch of Barracuda, some Black Grouper, Cubera Snapper, Permit. I did not see the Bull Sharks that had been hanging out in Sept during aggregation. Among the best 2 dives I've had on the Castor, I now have an even 100 on this fantastic wreck.

I'm here through Oct 30, hard to beat today

Good diving, Craig

Only hit the like button because there isn't an "I hate you because you are there and I am here" button. :p

^^ It's called #40.
Look in the smilies, under the More tab. :D
:rule40: :rule40:

wondering what it means? go to page 1 of any MOF thread.. :)

BTW, @scubadada :rule40: :rule40: :rule40:

:rule40: :rule40: :rule40:
preemtive for you.
I'm working weekends for now, so working 7/days a week. No diving unless it's night. Haven't been out since the Sunday after Matthew. My gear is wondering what happened..
Alas, somebody can get some 40's. won't be me.

Yesterday was a tough act to follow. Went out this morning with Underwater Explorers. 1st dive was the Capt Tony, I was prepared to be disappointed after the Castor. Turned out to be a very good dive. Two Bull Sharks came through, the alpha about 8 feet and husky, the beta about 6 feet. Also had a couple of Nurse Sharks, a Hawksbill, a nice Southern Stingray and quite a few Goliath Grouper, a little more skittish than on the Castor. Second dive was on the signature site, Black Condo. Free swimming Green Moray, free swimming Goldentail Moray, quite a treat, and an amazing number of all the usual reef fish. Water was l little cooler than yesterday, 78-80 degrees and the visibility was probably about 50 feet.

What a wonderful place to live. Going out again tomorow, before the seas go back up.

:rule40:

At least my part time job I love..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom