2 fatalities in the UK last weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

String

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi String,

Sad story on both accounts. In the second article the club representative seems really shaken by the incident. Obviously, from what is written we don't really know what happened. From your experience what type of training would be done between the 2nd and 3rd qualifications mentioned in article two that would allow:

"wasn't far off completing the second qualification, with the only next step being able to dive to 50 meters."

Thanks,

Arizona

Training for BSAC "Sports Diver" grade. Thats the 2nd level qualification.

Allows diving to 35m including dives with mandatory decompression and rescue skills. The training would have been shallower than that though. As its a marina i suspect it was very much shallower.

The 50m qualification mentioned is Dive Leader (3rd level qualification, there are 2 others after that but dont allow deeper on air).

COndolensces to the family, friends, and fellow divers of both lost soles.

String:
Training for BSAC "Sports Diver" grade. Thats the 2nd level qualification.

Allows diving to 35m including dives with mandatory decompression and rescue skills. The training would have been shallower than that though. As its a marina i suspect it was very much shallower.

The 50m qualification mentioned is Dive Leader (3rd level qualification, there are 2 others after that but dont allow deeper on air).

So the training is more like what they teach in tech diving classes here in the U.S. and less like advanced open water, correct?

Sad news indeed.

Its a mix. Although crossover purposes it works out at sort of AOW theres a lot different content.

Mainly being it includes rescue(and cpr) skills, deco diving and things like DSMB/SMB use.

Probably better off looking at this: http://www.bsac.org/page/276/sports-diver.htm
Gives more detail of content.

I wouldn't say its like the proper tech training ive had from TDI but it does include things like basic gas management, redundancy etc.

What does he mean when he says the buoy sank? Does that mean they were descending down a line and the buoy holding the line sank on top of them, or is it something to do with using rebreathers? Sorry, I know it doesn't really matter, and I am just trying to understand what happened.

Sincere condolances to the relatives and friends, sounds like she will be missed by a lot of people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom