2 days to dive in Thailand...where to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread was very helpful since I also have 2-3 days to dive, before or after a business meeting in Bangkok. But my trip is coming up in early September - would the locals who offered such good advice change anything based on fall not spring diving?
Thanks so much!

Actually, Alphaseadog, the advice still does apply. A lot will depend on what time your flights arrive and depart from Bangkok and the kind of diving you want to do.

Since you want to tack diving on to the beginning or the end of your trip, if your ticket takes you to Bangkok in good time to get to Phuket or Samui on the same day, you could possibly start diving the next morning. For example, let's say that you are on a flight from the west coast of the US that arrives in the evening in Bangkok. You can still get a flight out to Phuket definitely, and possibly to Samui. When you arrive at Phuket, you are there and only need to go to your hotel. When you arrive at Samui, you can either dive with operators from that island (the diving is generally at Koh Tao), or you can take a ferry to Tao and dive with operators based there. Ferries schedules may make it more convenient to use Samui-based operators. There is also the possibility of driving overland to Pattaya and diving from there. The attraction of Pattaya-based diving is shipwrecks. If you like them, that's the place to go. If you can take them or leave them, go someplace else where the marine life is more plentiful and the visibility is better.

So let's say that you choose to fly to your dive destination (Phuket or Samui/Tao), and that you dive the day after you arrive plus a second day. Whether you can dive on the third day will depend on when you need to be in Bangkok to work or to catch your flight out. Our dives tend to end in mid-afternoon, so if your flight is an afternoon flight, you might be able to squeeze in another dive day, but if you have to get out in the morning, you'll have a free-and-easy day with no diving.

The question of whether to come to the Andaman side or go to the Gulf side may depend on whether rain makes any difference to you. September is statistically a very rainy month on Phuket (Andaman side) and somewhat less rainy in the Gulf. This website has an easy-to-use map showing weather statistics. In addition, two Thailand forum members active here blog and include weather observations: Camille and Jamie.

Finally, a note on rain: our rain is warm, so feeling frozen on a boat in the rain after a dive isn't an issue. And we don't have a real problem with runoff, so the rain does't diminish visibility to any great extent. But what rainy weather in the Andaman does do is make the boat rides a bit bumpier, and can also make swimming off our beaches inadvisable due to rip currents. However, the fish don't care at all about the rain, so the actual diving is mostly unaffected, except that the boats are not as crowded, meaning the dive sites are not as crowded, meaning that animals like leopard sharks are less likely to swim off to find peace and quiet somewhere that we don't dive. I think diving from Phuket during our low season is quite pleasant!

I was told many times that a "bad day of diving the Andaman is better than a good day in the Gulf". :)

One of my best dives of all times was a rising 50 drift dive in Pattaya, in the Gulf of Thailand. Also, I've had some really great shipwreck dives in Pattaya and Samesan as well.

Like everywhere, it depends on the day, the currents and tides, the location, the weather and more. The Gulf of Thailand has some really excellent dives, in my opinion.

Realisticly with such a short window of opportunity pattaya is the only destination where you can go, it can be reached by road from Bangkok in around 2 hours.
Having said that at this location excelent viz is practically non existent, and as for the marine life that you hope to see, well in over 10 years of regular diving there, from your list the only one I have seen is clown fish.
Good luck.

As Quero already pointed out, the wreck diving in Pattaya may be the decisive factor to opt for Pattaya, especially considering the time factor. I've done some great wreck dive trips out there, please check the link for my trip reports.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom