2 days to dive in Thailand...where to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AussieNSW

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all! I'll be in Bangkok on business May 12-16. I will have two days (17-18) there before I fly to China on business. So...I need to know the best place to dive, get in 1-2 days diving (or snorkeling the last day depending on flight times), before flying away again. I would like to find sea creatures like clown fish, seadragons, sharks, big rays (have yet to see a manta), whales...anything else cool/rare to see. Oh, and I'm big into underwater photog, so excellent vis is preferred.

Quick trip I know but at least the company is paying for most of it. I'm sure I'll be back there within the next year anyway.

Thanks guys, your advice is much appreciated!

Make sure you factor in no fly time. You should be here when things favor the Gulf of Siam. Doubt you will see Manta Rays, but I would suggest the Koh Tao dive sites. Chumphon Pinnacle and Sail Rock are very nice. I am sure plenty of 'local' operators will chime in, but consider staying on Koh Tao. I am in the process of planning a similar trip with some divemates May 28-30.

If you could find a boat going to Hin Deang Hin Muang at that time, that would be your best bet for a manta. Maybe a boat out of koh lanta, good luck though, you don't really have much time. I would fly into phuket and book something out of there. Do a koh doc mai, kingcruiser, shark pt trip.

Considering easy reach (also helping you with no flying time), the Gulf of Thailand (either Koh Tao or even closer by Pattaya) would be my recommendation. Considering quality of diving though I would recommend the Andaman Sea.

Hi there !

I live here on Koh Tao.

If you can fly from Bkk to Samui on the afternoon or evening of the 16th and overnight in Samui you can then catch the first boat from Samui to Koh Tao which would get you in mid morning. This will mean that you can make the afternoon dive boat. Your other option is to take the overnight train or bus to Chumpon and then ferry to Koh Tao which gets you in around 9am - however you will still not make the morning dive boat. Flying to Samui and spending the night there will be the more comfortable but more expensive option.

Diving on the 18th will obvioulsy depend on when your flight is and from where....but there is lovely snorkeling alll around the island too.

We do not get Mantas in the area but we do have Jenkins and Blue Spotted and Eagle Rays...we have seen pilot whales in the last few days. We do have a population of (could be) Bull Sharks but they are seasonal and not here right now. However there are a population of reef sharks in one of the bays which you can snorkel with year around. Whalesharks are frequent visitors so you might be lucky there!

If you have any specific questions then dont hesitate to PM me !

Ayesha

Pattaya diving isn't good, but you can reach it with the car. So at limited time, it might be an option (you can dive on the day and go back with the car to Bangkok) while from Koh Tao, Phuket, Ko Lipe, etc etc you could not dive on that day because of the flight back.....
But as I told the diving there is not as great and if the dive shops are good is heavily discussed here, but for sure diving in Pattaya is better than not diving because the available flights are within your no dive time.

This thread was very helpful since I also have 2-3 days to dive, before or after a business meeting in Bangkok. But my trip is coming up in early September - would the locals who offered such good advice change anything based on fall not spring diving?
Thanks so much!

Pattaya diving isn't good, but you can reach it with the car. So at limited time, it might be an option (you can dive on the day and go back with the car to Bangkok) while from Koh Tao, Phuket, Ko Lipe, etc etc you could not dive on that day because of the flight back.....
But as I told the diving there is not as great and if the dive shops are good is heavily discussed here, but for sure diving in Pattaya is better than not diving because the available flights are within your no dive time.

I have never been to Thailand, but did a lot of research (and made some serious contacts in Phuket) as we were scheduled for a medical relief tour this summer - which got put off until next summer (thanks to the "Great Recession").

I was told many times that a "bad day of diving the Andaman is better than a good day in the Gulf". :)

But it doesn't sound like you have enough travel plan to go anywhere (#1 Choice - Andaman/Phuket, #2 Choice - Gulf/Ko Tao/Samui) but Pattaya. And if that was the case, I'd get in touch with "Aquanauts" in Pattaya and let them make your plans.

SCUBA DIVING PATTAYA * Aquanauts Dive Centre * Thailand PADI 5-Star CDC Courses, Classes, Lessons Trips Equipment Internships Jobs Instructor Training

This thread was very helpful since I also have 2-3 days to dive, before or after a business meeting in Bangkok. But my trip is coming up in early September - would the locals who offered such good advice change anything based on fall not spring diving?
Thanks so much!
September tends to be the wettest month on the Andaman side. So if you decide to go there because of the quality of diving, check the weather forecasts (although I really don't trust these).

Hey all! I'll be in Bangkok on business May 12-16. I will have two days (17-18) there before I fly to China on business. So...I need to know the best place to dive, get in 1-2 days diving (or snorkeling the last day depending on flight times), before flying away again. I would like to find sea creatures like clown fish, seadragons, sharks, big rays (have yet to see a manta), whales...anything else cool/rare to see. Oh, and I'm big into underwater photog, so excellent vis is preferred.

Quick trip I know but at least the company is paying for most of it. I'm sure I'll be back there within the next year anyway.

Thanks guys, your advice is much appreciated!

Realisticly with such a short window of opportunity pattaya is the only destination where you can go, it can be reached by road from Bangkok in around 2 hours.
Having said that at this location excelent viz is practically non existent, and as for the marine life that you hope to see, well in over 10 years of regular diving there, from your list the only one I have seen is clown fish.
Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom