2 Cozumel Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverbob

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking for things to do on my last day there when I cant dive. I have heard about a spot where you can snorkal with the dolphins, and also about a spot where a fresh water river hits the sea water, and I have heard there are a lot of large parrot fish there. Does anybody have any idea where these spots are? I appreciate the help in advance. Now if I can just talk Hurricane Karl into staying away.

diverbob:
I am looking for things to do on my last day there when I cant dive. I have heard about a spot where you can snorkal with the dolphins, and also about a spot where a fresh water river hits the sea water, and I have heard there are a lot of large parrot fish there. Does anybody have any idea where these spots are? I appreciate the help in advance. Now if I can just talk Hurricane Karl into staying away.

you can do both of these things at Chakanab park. The dolphin discovery has various different programs with the dolphins. At the end of the park is a fresh water river that runs underground through caves and comes out in a cove which then goes into the ocean. I can't say that there is much to see or do at the river. If your not diving the caves it's just some green water over a thermocline. When we were there, there was a photo shoot going on of a very attractive woman in a bikini and some minimal dive gear. That was rather interesting :)

We rented a car for the day and drove around the entire island ..... the east coast is very desolate and wild and you can stop for a bite at Chen Rio, a restaurant on a small cove that's calm enough to swim in ... there is also Punta Sur Park at the southern tip with a lighthouse, some lookout towers and a snorkeling area.....

Chaukanab is a great place to go snorkeling. There is the dolphin discovery and interactive play with sea lions which I thought was really fun for an off diving day. If you really want to see the island, I would recommend getting a car or scooter and going to the other side. There are several little beach bars and a place on a cliff named "Coconuts" which has great shrimp quesadillas!!! It's kind of mellow on the other side, not a lot to do but it's kind of interesting and even has some places to rent a surf board or boogie board. It typically has bigger waves when the the west side is calm.

I forgot to add that there is a lighthouse you can climb on the south side, for about $10 apiece, on your way to the other side of the island. My husband enjoys stopping by the reggae bar, by the lighthouse, and walking north to the blow holes (about 200 feet). He collects trash along the way and throws it into the blow hole. It can launch an object 30 feet high or more with the right timing and good waves. It's amazing because he can be entertained for an hour or more doing this. There are also small ruins on the island. They are in the middle road crossing the island East to West. Not too exciting, but something to do and interesting if you haven't seen the ruins before.

Two words... CARLOS & CHARLIES...tell Isaac hi for me.
If that's not your thing, all of the above are great suggestions.
Have a great trip!
Dive Safe!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I really do appreciate it.

Don't forget the island museum! It's on the waterfront, a few blocks north of the square. Minimal admission change and well worth the money.

Take a quick flight over to Chichen Itza to see the ruins.

Take the ferry over to Playa del Carmen, go to Tulum, visit the beaches.

Back
Top Bottom