2-5-7 West Beach Paddlewheeler Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I had a job cancel on me today so decided to cut my work day off early. By some manner of insanity, one of my dive buddies(Mikey P) actually agreed to dive this evening. The sun came out midway through the day and temps warmed up to nearly 60F. Waves were fairly calm, with ankle, shin high rollers. Water was blue and appeared to be pretty clear. We decided to hit the West Beach Paddlewheeler as I hadn't dived it in quite some time and Mikey had never dived it during the day.

Mikey agreed to dive as long as he could borrow my hoodvest, which left me without - holy friggin christ it was cold! His computer read 55F and I had a massive headache at first, it later calmed about 5 min into the dive. My 3mm kept my core warm for our shortish dive. Visibility was 3-5' with ever so slight a surge. There were several pufferfish onsite, a single small mangrove, several large sheepshead, and even one flounder were spotted onsite. The northwest and west sides of the paddlewheeler have gained alot of sand. South and East sides are slightly more exposed than in past months. We hit a max depth of 16' for a short 30 minute dive.

Hit up the local Hooters afterwards, it was good, 3 mile wings were hotter than normal and welcomed.

Good grief...3mm!!! no wonder you were cold. Thanks for the report bugman. I will be in Gulf Shores the first week in June. Maybe we can hook up for a shore dive somewhere while I'm there
C ya

Nice ice diving report :D. I bet your head was about to explode! You know ice crystals cause damage to living tissue don't you? :rofl3:

I wanted to get in a dive at the jetties here on the 10th but I've got to work - maybe that's a good thing :D. I haven't given up on a February dive yet. I may get in the water on the 21st or 24th. It all depends on what scheduling blunder my boss comes up with and, of course, the other natural disaster, the weather.

Great report. It does sound cold. 55F with no hood. It was nice of you to sacrifice for your dive buddy for the sake of diving. Nice but crazy.

The 3mm was fine, my core was warm enough - just me noggin!

SY - post a thread if you manage to get anything planned for the 24th.

SuPrBuGmAn:
I had a job cancel on me today so decided to cut my work day off early. By some manner of insanity, one of my dive buddies(Mikey P) actually agreed to dive this evening. The sun came out midway through the day and temps warmed up to nearly 60F. Waves were fairly calm, with ankle, shin high rollers. Water was blue and appeared to be pretty clear. We decided to hit the West Beach Paddlewheeler as I hadn't dived it in quite some time and Mikey had never dived it during the day.

Mikey agreed to dive as long as he could borrow my hoodvest, which left me without - holy friggin christ it was cold! His computer read 55F and I had a massive headache at first, it later calmed about 5 min into the dive. My 3mm kept my core warm for our shortish dive. Visibility was 3-5' with ever so slight a surge. There were several pufferfish onsite, a single small mangrove, several large sheepshead, and even one flounder were spotted onsite. The northwest and west sides of the paddlewheeler have gained alot of sand. South and East sides are slightly more exposed than in past months. We hit a max depth of 16' for a short 30 minute dive.

Hit up the local Hooters afterwards, it was good, 3 mile wings were hotter than normal and welcomed.

Dang! I was hoping to hit the PW this Saturday AM, but you've already dived it this week...

I'm up for diving it again if conditions allow - maybe not a crazy long dive, but I'll jump in :D

30-45 min at the PW and 30-45 min at the Whiskey on a single tank sounds good. :D

Depending on who's diving atleast, can't let the location out to everyone.

SuPrBuGmAn:
I'm up for diving it again if conditions allow - maybe not a crazy long dive, but I'll jump in :D

30-45 min at the PW and 30-45 min at the Whiskey on a single tank sounds good. :D

Depending on who's diving atleast, can't let the location out to everyone.

I may have a new SB member in tow, as well. I have to be at Gary's for 11:30, so it will be an early or short plunge to do both. I'll bring my Beach Diving doubles with convenient handle for hauling me out of the surf!

Any of those tasty sheepshead hanging around the Whiskey?

Port Tack - yep, they were there a few weeks ago atleast - no reason for them to leave.

Back
Top Bottom