2-3 weeks in South Pacific.... Where??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Planning on a nice long dive trip to somewhere in the South Pacific.

Would like somewhere exotic.

Love to meet the people that live there... Don't want to travel half-way around the world to just spend time with other American divers.

Photographer, so love great "house reefs" and can dive the same spot everyday and see something different.

Like to dive 3-4 times a day

So someplace exotic, great vis, wierd stuff to take pictures of, easy diving, opportunity to meet local people....

Suggestions please

Loloata in Papua New Guinea was recommended to me. Also Wakatobi, and Raja Ampat are two nice Indonesian destinations with beautiful house reefs. . .

Easiest country to get around, meet local people and experience the culture (everybody speaks English), and good inexpensive economical diving for the dollar is the Philippines . . .

Wow anywhere? LUCKY YOU!

By easy diving, if you mean not too many strong currents, warm water, good viz, then Fiji may be a good choice. You can go to different islands, experience local life, go sightseeing on-land.

A bit further but with some terrific diving is Papua New Guinea. The place may be a bit frightening with a high crime rate but if you go to a nice resort you'll be alright (although a bit insulated from local life).

If you want to do a wreck, consider Vanuatu and the President Coolidge. It certainly is very different. I had a nice time there (went wandering into town after the dives in the afternoon, ate cheap lobster and steak and the locals seemed nice. There are people living in the "kastom" or traditional ways in villages not too far from the town so it's an interesting mix of new and old. The dives are a bit more advanced - purely because of the depths involved - but overall, the experience may be great.

if you are looking for the South Pacific I would suggest Tuamotus in Tahiti. Or the western Pacific like Palau or Indonesia ie Raja Ampat, Bali, Lembeh or East Timor.

After just arriving back from Fiji I can recommend both Fiji and Vanuatu.

I spent two weeks on Mana Island (at the resort). Mana island is part of the Mamanuca chain of islands, 30km west of Nadi. Family spent time relaxing on beach, water activities, pools, spending time with vilagers etc. My wife and I did 20 dives in around the area between the island and towards the outer reef. Sharks, stonefish (the largest I have ever seen) fish fish fish coral, swim thru's, wrecks and some of the friendliest dive staff I have been!!!

We spent 10 days at Hideaway island in January with fantastic diving. Travelling north to the Coolidge is simple.

I choose this time of year for the pacific islands as there are less people and you get a local Fiji DM as a guide (most of our dives was one on one) which gives you the "special" extras....

David

Loloata in Papua New Guinea was recommended to me. Also Wakatobi, and Raja Ampat are two nice Indonesian destinations with beautiful house reefs. . .

Easiest country to get around, meet local people and experience the culture (everybody speaks English), and good inexpensive economical diving for the dollar is the Philippines . . .

Loloata is on my hold my breath and say i wanna wanna wanna must do list!!!

but alas, hubby off to here next week Papua New Guinea Scuba Diving Adventure - the Highlands to the Islands and i think he is taking me there instead of Loloata next year... unless i arrange a side trip :wink:

i always mention Vanuatu if diving the south pacific.... its so easy and nice that i always enjoy it!

Wow . . .good for you & the hubby, almitywife!

If I had 2 to 3 weeks, and being the WWII history buff that I am -- still on the wish list are dive/hike trips to the Solomons/Guadalcanal; Loloata/Kokoda Track; Sipadan/Borneo; Rabaul, Biak and maybe Sangalakki/Balikpapan. A combined Vanuatu/Fiji or Solomons liveaboard dive trip will probably be my next foray into the South Pacific. . .

Back
Top Bottom