2-28-07 Vortex Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn:
Morrison's larger cavern is as intensive as an open basketball court. People have died at Morrison, but people have also died while relaxing under a coconut bearing palm tree.

The moral of this post is to never goto the beach without a hardhat. :rofl3:

They say 150 people a year are killed by falling Coconuts, 15 times more than sharks.

020719.gif

When posting on the subject of diving the lower cavern at Morrison I knew it would draw some fire. My contention is that there is a cave/cavern warning sign to posted at its entrance it means OW only divers stay out. It is just not a good practice to tell folks to enter that part of Morrisons who are OW only trained. I went to www.cavediving.com at this is what they had to say:

North-central Florida's crystal-clear, underwater caverns and caves are among its most popular attractions for visiting divers. When divers use common sense and follow important safety rules, diving these overhead environments can be nearly as safe as diving in open water. However, when divers fail to follow these rules, the results are often tragic. Since 1950, nearly 400 divers have perished in Florida's caverns and caves. The vast majority of these divers had no formal training in cavern or cave diving.

Like I said earlier y'all are adults make your own decisions and if you feel very comfortable entering that area go for it. while y'all are down in the cavern i'l be taking pics of the basin :D .

Thats sign placement is retarted, they should put it closer to the shallower cavern, its the one that will get people in trouble.

If you are comfortable in your gear and buddy, have your bouyancy under control, and use common sense, you aren't gonna have problems in the friendlier caverns around.

Like I said, Ginnie advertises their cavern as OW safe, no sign at the entrance either. Yet this cavern veers off to the left and you can lose ambient light. There are also some tight swim throughs that you could possibly get stuck in. This cavern is accepted as OW safe though - Morrison surely has a sign in place for liability reasons, not everyone should be going in there - doesn't mean that you can't have a safe dive in it if you have things figured out. Its a hellovalot safer than Ginnies ballroom.

SuPrBuGmAn:
... Morrison is overlooked all too often ...
No, Mat, Morrison's not overlooked nearly enough!
Rick :D

Yeah, you have a point there Rick :)

Morrison sucks, I hope nobody considers going there! Leave that mudhole to us :wink:

Thought this might be of interest to y'all as well. it was taken from the accidents/incidents section

http://gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll...200318/-1/news
Scuba diver dies at springs in Chiefland
Sun staff writer February 20. 2007 6:01AM

A scuba diver died Monday while diving at Manatee Springs State Park in Chiefland — the second diver death in the last week in North Florida.

(name removed), 19, of Panhandle, Texas, was found by rescue divers near an underwater area called Catfish Hole in Manatee Springs, according to Sgt. (name removed) with the Levy County Sheriff's Office.

(the deceased diver) was airlifted to Shands at the University of Florida after being rescued from the water around 1 p.m. Monday, but (the deputy) said (the deceased diver) was pronounced dead at the hospital.

(the deputy) would not go into specifics about how the young man got trapped under the water Monday. He said the medical examiner's office will be doing an autopsy, but drowning is the likely cause of death.

"He did run out of air," (the deputy) said. "He was diving with two buddies and, at some point, got separated from the buddies."

(the deputy) said (the deceased diver) and his friends were not actually cave diving, but they were diving in an area that would fall under the category of cavern diving — where an overhead obstruction does not allow direct access to the surface, he said.

Monday's incident marks the second diver death in less than a week, with the Lafayette County Sheriff's Office reporting that a certified cave diver from Virginia died last week while diving alone in a spring along the Suwannee River.

Lafayette County (deputy) said last week that the body of (other deceased diver) , 53, of Charlottesville, Va., was recovered Thursday in a remote spring in northwest Lafayette County known as Allan Millpond Springs.

(other deceased diver) was reported missing Wednesday when he didn't show up at a friend's house in Alachua County, and searchers located his vehicle near the spring run that leads to the Suwannee River.

Certified cave divers from around the area were called in to search for (other deceased diver) . They located his body about 300 feet from the mouth of a shallow cave, and by looking at dive journals, investigators said (the deceased diver) apparently had been inside the same cave as many as 40 times before last week's fatal dive.

Chit happens... I don't think anyone is saying that caverns are as safe as "bowling," but we are all adults, and we are individually responsible for our safety or else we wouldn't even be involved in scuba diving. It's sad that people die, doing this. I, myself, may die doing this. I accept that scuba carries an element of risk. I don't put myself purposely into dangerous situations, and if I feel uncomfortable with something, I'm the first one to thumb a dive. That's my "take" on things.

wjefferis:
Monday's incident marks the second diver death in less than a week, with the Lafayette County Sheriff's Office reporting that a certified cave diver from Virginia died last week while diving alone in a spring along the Suwannee River.

So, not even the hallowed certification of "cave diver" can save us... We're doomed! Doomed, I tell you!:popcorn:

I'm selling all my stuff and moving into a cavern (not cave, as I'm not certified).

Back
Top Bottom