2-28-07 Vortex Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know LOL Vortex is high. But I wanted to dive and the gulf looked crappy so I went to the only place I knew.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Naw, but there is a sign on SR81, it'll be on the right side of the road, pointing left, for you to turn on SR181. Follow 181 a couple miles till you see Morrison Springs Road on the left, follow it until it dead ends at the spring.
AAaarrrgghhhh!
Your other left, Mat!
Morrison Springs Road is on the RIGHT off 181.
Sheeesh! :D
Rick
Here's a link to a map...

D'Oh! :)

Luckily it ONLY goes right, so I managed not to get anyone lost had they tried to find Morrison in the past 3 hours or so - LOL.

mulefeathers:
Would someone please look at this link and tell me if this is the Morrisons Springs everyone is talking about?

Thanks
http://www.tfn.net/Springs/Morrison.htm

yes... but that page is out of date. there is no cost anymore.

That web page was done when Morrison was a commerical dive operation that you had to pay to get into. the property was bought by the state a few years ago and is now a park run by the county. Admission is free now.

It looks like they edited the page slightly to say that it's owned by the state now, but there is no dive shop on site or no facilities onsite. nearest air fills are about 15 minutes away at Vortex.

What is the attraction? From the pictures it doesn't look there is much to see. Might have to try. It is beyond time to get wet.

attraction? well it's what you make of it.

in the shallows fish hang to the tree roots of the trees in the water.

There is a decent sized cavern in the middle of the basin. this is where the spring flows from. Something like 25million gallons per day. Inside the cavern you'll find lots of fresh water eels.

Other features are the crystal clear water (when the river hasn't flooded the basin or scuba classes haven't silted it up.).

the water temp is pretty constant also at 67-68f. This makes ideal warmer water diving during the colder months and a cool refreshing dive during the hot months.

Overall it's just a pretty place also.

and as Bugman says, "the best springs in life are free". So it being $32 cheaper than Vortex up the road is appealing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom