2-10-7 Whiskey Wreck Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, my turn...

Left my house at 5:30 in the Blessed AM to head to the Redneck Riviera to Dive with Mat and Andreas (a California transplant who hadn't been East of the Pearl River since landing in Mandeville 6 months ago).

I had planned to meet Andreas at around 6:30 so I could lead him to the wilds of Lower Alabama. After Joining up at the Misssissippi Rest Area, we mad a leisurely trip over to Good ol' hwy 59 in Alabama. At one point, I passed a bank clock where the air temp read 40* F. I began to reconsider the whole prospect of leaving my warm truck cab. Called Mat and told him we were enroute to Bahama Bob's. Met up with Mat at around 9:20 or so and began to suit up in the welcome sunshine. Air temps read 58* or so in the sun.

I was finally able to once again dive in my circa 1989 1/4" drysuit which I hadn't been able to fit into in over 10 years. Feeling extra-snug and warm, and a little like a coiled spring in my electric blue with yellow piping neoprene (you heard me right), I half walked-have sproinged to the water's edge. Also equipped my my vintage double 30's on a solid U.S. Diver's manifold I was ready for the frreezzzing water.

Well, it turns out that my suit was so snug, it performed like a semi-dry, and kept me toasty warm all through the dive. On the flip side, it is uber-buoyant, and the 10lbs I had in the BC wasn't quite enough to keep me comfortably underwater. I should have realized something was up when I couldn't effectively fin on my back, as my legs kept popping out of the water.

My dive lasted a total of 12 mins, after which I hung out on the surface waiting for Mat and Andreas. I was able to explore the West part of the wreck, which I hadn't seen before. Lots of blennies, and other small fish, anemones and tube sponges (or worms).

Anyway, I had a great time, wasn't overly chilly, and saw some new parts of the wreck.

DawgDiver:
I dove in 43* water this weekend, WET, so nobody here can ever accuse me of being a WWW. :bang:

Not that we don't doubt you (we heard the shrinkage reports already), but where is your proof? Got a dive buddy to verify this dive? :no

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom