2-10-7 Whiskey Wreck Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I met up with Paulwall and Amadus98 this morning to dive the Whiskey Wreck in Gulf Shores. Air temps in the upper thirties and water temperatures were 54F according to Paul's computer. Beautiful day though, blue skies, clear/blue water, slick gulf, and a cold brisk North breeze - brrr!

We geared up and headed into the water, visibility was 5-10' and there as no surge nor currents. I found the wreck, didn't recognize the piece, looked elsewhere and lost it - LOL. Refound the same piece of wreckage, tied off, and met up with everyone else on the surface. While on top, we drifted on top the rest of the wreckage and we started our dive. Not a ton of free swimming life with such cold temps, but there were some blennies, pufferfish, sheephead, and even some pinfish. We swam around the outside south end of the wreck, then the inside and around the outside of the stern and around the outside of the starboard hull. We swam across the sand to the newly uncovered sections a bit west of the stern bulk of the wreck, then back to the inside section of the starboard side before Amadus98 got a bit cold and called the dive. Paulwall was already on the surface after having trouble staying down in his humongous bright blue michellin man wetsuit. I went back down to untie the flag and swam back to shore on the bottom accumulating a total of 38 minutes of bottom time for the dive hitting 17' as my max depth.

Grabbed some Subway and ate it at Gary's Gulf Diver where Paulwall, Amadus98, GulfDiver77 and some others were going to head out on a boat trip, I'm jealous :11doh: Bother them for reports, infact, spam the crap out of them. :D

WOOHOOO..... yes Paulwalls dive suit had me jealous. Im gona have to see if i can top that next cold water trip...... NOT!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
Dive was fun hope that we can meet up again Thanks again for the shell yours kicked ***** and mine was a dud.. Kewl site now that i know what to look for Ill help out below spoting it to tie off onto.

Glad you enjoyed it, makes for a fun dive with easy access. Kinda nice to have good food and a full bar onsite after you gear down as well.

Wow,You had the same temps we did at ABWA. Well ,51-52 degree water. Air temp was the same. I am ready to get back down for a Whiskey dive soon. We will be in Mobile this weekend. I will not be able to dive though. Mardi Gras you know. I just can not decide if we are going to Fairhope or Mobile.

The Daphne parades are pretty fun, too and there is even one in Bay Minette at noon on Saturday. I do not see how you guys dive in that cold water. Guess my blood is just getting thin in my old age.

Mike

Daphne and Fairhope have more family oriented parades, if you're bringing kids, I hit those.

Being the big kid that I am, I'll be heading to New Orleans. :)

Sounds like we had alot of diving going on in Dixie on Saturday! I'm glad you guys had a good dive. I am ready to get back in the Gulf also. I just want it to warm up a wee bit first.:)

denisegg:
Sounds like we had alot of diving going on in Dixie on Saturday! I'm glad you guys had a good dive. I am ready to get back in the Gulf also. I just want it to warm up a wee bit first.:)

No No No snivelling or whining about the cold. You were much colder with us in Pelham this weekend and you did just fine! :coffee:

You are slipping in your posting rate; down now to 7.5 a day. Pale in comparison to my .7 / day (thats less than 1 / day)

You guys weren't that much colder :p and we were in saltwater :D

I dove in 43* water this weekend, WET, so nobody here can ever accuse me of being a WWW. :bang:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom