2/03 Maui pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jetwrench:
Jim, I thought zoom was a no no u/w. Do you use it often? WAL? Macro? By the way, nice pics!

Try to get a little closer next time, and stop adding so much color. This is where the sense of humor is tested.:D lol

I use optical zoom on almost all my shots with or without the macro setting. I additionally crop the photo in Photoshop to get closer. I don't use zoom with the WAL.

Yes Jim I also thought that the Zoom feature underwater was a no no, I must admit I have never tried it. That will teach me never believe everything you read.

Nice pickies as usual.

haven't check this forum in a while... but man your pics are always awesome!!!
Thanks for sharing and dive safe!!!

Gilligan's - - getting his groove back! :>)

fergyjohn:
Yes Jim I also thought that the Zoom feature underwater was a no no, I must admit I have never tried it. That will teach me never believe everything you read.

Nice pickies as usual.

Perhaps the confusion is over using the digital zoom versus the optical zoom. Digital zoom is basically useless.

Gilligan:
Hawaiian Whitespotted Toby looking for food scraps in a Sea Urchin shell.
1.jpg

Yellowtail Coris Wrasse (adult)
2.jpg

Whitesaddle Goatfish
3.jpg

Thank you for these shots! Makes a cold Ohio winter day bearable.

Another confusion about zooming comes from the idea that you should not zoom if you can get closer instead. A lot of beginners try to zoom from 6 feet away from the subject when they could get 2 feet away. The difference of light and concentration of junk in the water in those 4 feet will ruin an otherwise good shot. So I think the axiom is, "don't zoom if you can get closer instead."

Now I'm getting some good ideas. I never used zoom because no one here mentioned that optical zoom can be effective. Some of the shots I have taken were too close for the camera to focus because I was in the "get close, then get closer" school. Can't wait to try this on my next trip to Bonaire.

Jet

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom