1X out with the stacked macros

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina:
as you get out and use them more and more!

Cross your fingers that nothing comes up to prevent me from going! Such a bad year...

Really great details of the Nudi. Love them all…
Looking forward to use the my macro lens. I still not have put into the water.

Is there any advice you can give me??
I am curious to know what setting you use to shoot the nudi.

Thank you for the help

Great shots, Lisa! I was wondering how much difference the stacked macros make from your standard camera? Not sure what rig you have, but if they are wet lenses could you show a shot in the future without them and then another with them, or visa versa? A curious mind wants to know:) Keep them coming!

Jet

Thanks guys! :blush:

First of all the settings, Autofocus mode (will try super macro today), I had f5.6 and a shutterspeed of 1/125. My strobe was set to auto and the other setting to 4 (I think around 4)

My set up is an Oly 5050 with an Inon 180 strobe, magnifying hood and 2 165 macro (wet) lenses.

I did a bit of photoshopping (bit of backscatter) and also cropped the pictures a bit. I always hate that I can see the details because I can enlarge the picture - but when I post them you can't - Don't do it often, but in this case I did.

As for advice, I'm not sure I did anything different than before, look for what I want, compose the picture and take it. I guess I'll learn more as I go along.

I'll try a with and without shot today and post them in the evening.

Hi Lisa,
thank you for the info.
I have only one macro lens. I hope I will see a difference when using it or not when shooting Macro…
One more question if I can. I suppose there is no problem shooting normal when lens in on or I have to stick only in Macro mode. Dumm question but I really need to be sure.

Ciao

Lisa -

I'd go to f8 with the stacked macros. Zoom 60 - 80% (or just one little click back on the 5050) for those tiny subjects -largers ones won't need it, of course.

The stacked macros will give you a really shallow depth of field and this is further noticed when you zoom.

Azotomix - I've never tried to shoot in normal mode with the lenses, only in macro and even supermacro. Give it a go and see what happens.

You should get good magnification with the stacked. On the 5050 I'm not sure there's a lot to be gained by shooting a single macro - supermacro is pretty neat!

I know I have some with and without lens shots somewhere, but can't remember now which dive it was from...if Lisa doesn't beat me to it, I'll try to do a comparison set on my next dive!

I was in normal mode on Tuesday and tried Smacro yesterday. The advantage is that the lens zooms about half in and stays there. From what I could tell there was no vignetting (what I did get when I zoomed in normal mode). I also tried SM macro and that worked almost better for me than Smacro did. I guess you just have to keep playing around.

The with and with out pictures are in my new thread with yesterdays pics.

Thanks for the tip Alcina, I'll try it out today - if I get to go that is :wink:

alcina:
Azotomix - I've never tried to shoot in normal mode with the lenses, only in macro and even supermacro. Give it a go and see what happens.

I will for sure!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom