30mm Macro lens - the poor cousin of macro lenses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While not an Olympus lens, I use the Nikkor 40mm micro lens sometimes on my cropped sensor D7200 / D300 cameras and find it better than the 60mm for photographing certain creatures that are around 15cm in size up to 2m (Lizardfish to turtles).

Limitation is that when used with a +5 wet diopter there is vignetting around the edges but this can be easily removed in PS or LR.

This shot was taken using the 40mm that I wouldn't even have attempted with the 60mm

While not an Olympus lens, I use the Nikkor 40mm micro lens sometimes on my cropped sensor D7200 / D300 cameras and find it better than the 60mm for photographing certain creatures that are around 15cm in size up to 2m (Lizardfish to turtles).

Limitation is that when used with a +5 wet diopter there is vignetting around the edges but this can be easily removed in PS or LR.

This shot was taken using the 40mm that I wouldn't even have attempted with the 60mm

I agree the 30mm is perfect for head shots, but for a whole turtle I find that puts too much water between the subject and the lens.

I agree the 30mm is perfect for head shots, but for a whole turtle I find that puts too much water between the subject and the lens.
Depends on how clear the water is.

Certainly a challenge where I dive locally, but in SE Asia, shouldn't be an issue in general.

I have the 60mm lens (I never use it), the 45mm from Panasonic (my favorite on my olympus camera's), and the 30mm (sometimes in use).
The 60mm is a pain in the ass to find your subject sharp, it starts shunting all the time in dark waters. The 45mm and 30mm are way much faster. With the 45mm you can find fitting ports, which is more difficult with the 30mm.

So for me the 45mm or the 30, not the 60mm.

I love my 60mm - dark or light I haven't had a problem. I have it set on the .19mm to infinity. I'm not sure which UW class I was in that told me to use that setting - but it works well for me.

I just got the 30mm on a bit of a whim - it was used so lens and port for a good price - it didn't even look used. I'd read that it is good for deep water dives so i thought I would give it a try. I haven't had a chance to take it out yet.

Unfortunately, I won't be in the water again until next year but I plan to give the 30 a serious workout.

The 60 seems to respond better on my EM1 mk2 than the EM5 mk2 I have just got rid of.

I love my 60mm - dark or light I haven't had a problem. I have it set on the .19mm to infinity. I'm not sure which UW class I was in that told me to use that setting - but it works well for me.

I just got the 30mm on a bit of a whim - it was used so lens and port for a good price - it didn't even look used. I'd read that it is good for deep water dives so i thought I would give it a try. I haven't had a chance to take it out yet.
I never did a photo class, but I think I know where I am talking about, have been to the world championships underwaterphotography.

Yes, that setting is the best. It has the maximum distance (from narrow distance to infinity) to use it, but the biggest chance for shunting. The 0.4 is for underwater not a good setting, often you are closer. The 0.19-0.4 gives you less shunting, but sometimes you are out of that range, expecially when taking fishportraits.

The 30mm has the biggest magnification, a 1.25, the 60 only 1. The workingdistance with the 30mm can be small/short, but and that is what you will like with the 30mm, in most cases, you don't need a wet diopter. If you want to use a wet diopter (I have +10 and +15), the 45mm or the 60 will probably work better as your working distance is better. With the 30mm it will be close to 0. But I also have some great fisheggs done with the 30mm and a +10 diopter. The +15 is for all macro not my favorite.

What is written above that the 60mm works better on the em1-mk2 than the em5 mk2, I agree with that. I have also both cameras. But I don't lie to tell that I can take as good pictures with the em5 than with the em1. The om1 has more focuspoints which is good for macro, and is a little bit faster in general, but at the end I get the same pictures.
My next camera will probably be one of the OM5 line. The reason? Smaller, lighter, so better for travel and the housings are cheaper. But I hope this will take a lot of years, I am still happy with the 2 I have and they costs a lot of money. For travelling I always take my EM5, not the EM1.
Underwaterphotography has an endless bottom with costs sadly.

I never did a photo class, but I think I know where I am talking about, have been to the world championships underwaterphotography.

Yes, that setting is the best. It has the maximum distance (from narrow distance to infinity) to use it, but the biggest chance for shunting. The 0.4 is for underwater not a good setting, often you are closer. The 0.19-0.4 gives you less shunting, but sometimes you are out of that range, expecially when taking fishportraits.

The 30mm has the biggest magnification, a 1.25, the 60 only 1. The workingdistance with the 30mm can be small/short, but and that is what you will like with the 30mm, in most cases, you don't need a wet diopter. If you want to use a wet diopter (I have +10 and +15), the 45mm or the 60 will probably work better as your working distance is better. With the 30mm it will be close to 0. But I also have some great fisheggs done with the 30mm and a +10 diopter. The +15 is for all macro not my favorite.

What is written above that the 60mm works better on the em1-mk2 than the em5 mk2, I agree with that. I have also both cameras. But I don't lie to tell that I can take as good pictures with the em5 than with the em1. The om1 has more focuspoints which is good for macro, and is a little bit faster in general, but at the end I get the same pictures.
My next camera will probably be one of the OM5 line. The reason? Smaller, lighter, so better for travel and the housings are cheaper. But I hope this will take a lot of years, I am still happy with the 2 I have and they costs a lot of money. For travelling I always take my EM5, not the EM1.
Underwaterphotography has an endless bottom with costs sadly.
At a very close focus distance is the image sharpness as good as the 60?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom